*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/879330-Spaghetti-Squash
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#879330 added April 13, 2016 at 10:36pm
Restrictions: None
Spaghetti Squash
         We've been enjoying spaghetti squash at our house this week. I fixed spaghetti, the regular kind, but had the squash as well as pasta. Some adult family members hadn't tried it before, but now I have converts. They like the high fiber crunch of the squash. And everything goes with homemade sauce and Parmesan cheese.

         I've had it as a side dish in a restaurant. It was sauteed with butter and cinnamon and served with fish. I usually go with garlic or various pasta sauces. This week I tried it with mushrooms and scrambled eggs cooked together. They were like a low calorie hash brown substitute. I also tried doing them with cooking spray, followed with a little wine. I add wine to mushrooms successfully, and to stews, but I have to say no to spaghetti squash. The flavor combo just didn't quite make it.

         Recipes generally call for things I don't have, or they're too elaborate. With fresh vegetables, I like to experiment. The squash is already cooked; you just mix it in with whatever you like. Stir fry? I might try that next. I prepare it by cutting it in half lengthwise, then baking in a pan with just enough water not to stick to the pan. When it's tender, you pull it apart with a fork. Take a regular table knife or metal spoon to finish scraping out the shell.

         This squash is low-cal, high fiber and has a nutty flavor, and keeps its crunchiness even if overcooked a little. It's easy to grow if you garden.You'll be doing your taste buds and your digestive system a favor by cooking some. You'll feel good about the wholesomeness and good nutrition.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/879330-Spaghetti-Squash