*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880278
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#880278 added April 21, 2024 at 9:34pm
Restrictions: None
Agape Love
We throw around the word "love" a lot. Of everything written in the Bible, it is the central them: God is love, God's love was so great He sent his son, Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as yourself—love is painted with broad brushstrokes all over the canvass of the entire Bible. But what do we truly know of love?

Part of the problem is that we only have one word for love. The New Testament was written in Greek, a language that had four words for love: philio (brotherly), eros (passionate), stergein (family), and agape (unconditional). Eros is not mentioned in the Bible, and both philio and stergein are mentioned only occasionally. When we read the word love in the bible it is almost always agape love.

Agape love is the love that God has for us, that he imparted us with, and with which he expects us to relate to one another. We struggle with the unconditionally of love because, being sinful beings, we tend to center on our own selfish desires. Even the good feeling we get for doing a wonderful thing for someone else is a selfish payoff. It's sometimes the only reason we participate in philanthropic activities—to make ourselves feel good. If God wants us to engage in agape love, its important to understand what it is.

The best way I have discovered to explain it is through the following ...

Imagine you know a married couple and one spouse is never around for anything— let's say it's him for convenience, though it could be either. Sometimes he goes off for weeks, or months, or even years without saying a word. Often he is seen in the company of other women and when he gets in rowdy company has a foul mouth. He spends money on frivolous things like it's going out of style, though his wife does all the work. He cheats, he steals, he lies as if it's second nature. He tells his wife that he wants to stay married for the convenience, wants her to take care of him when he's sick, and always work to provide for him ... but that he doesn't really love her. His wife tells him that's okay, he doesn't have to love her in order for her to love him. You'd think he was a pretty despicable character and his wife a fool for continuing to love him when she should give him the heave-ho.

The simple truth is this: that is exactly the kind of unconditional love God has for us. He tells us we don't have to love him in order for Him to love us. Look around at the world today. There are people who say he doesn't exist and yet, God continues to love them. There are those who curse Him and He, likewise, continues to love them.

And that's exactly how we are supposed to love one another and why we struggle with it so much. Yet, we better start practicing it now because it's all we'll be experiencing in heaven.


We love because he first loved us. Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.
– 1 John 4:19-21


Keywords: Love, Unconditional, God


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880278