*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880498-The-True-Church
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#880498 added April 21, 2024 at 9:30pm
Restrictions: None
The True Church
Have you ever paid attention to water. I mean, really given it much thought? A single molecule of water has no intrinsic power. It can't slack thirst, end a drought, make a gully, wear down rock, or wash away a mountain. But combined with enough molecules, and often enough time, water's effect can defeat anything man builds. Yet, it has no power to move on it's own. It's channeled by an unseen force. Maybe that's what Jesus meant when he talked about moving mountains—by working together in faith under God's will.

That's really what the word "church" means and we need go no further than the Bible to understand that. Both Jesus and Paul talked about it on many occasions. It is the living entity of all followers of Christ, united by the Holy Spirit, with Jesus Christ as the cornerstone. It is not a building, though a building is often useful to gather portions of the "church" together. It is not relegated to any particular denomination, though like-minded members of the "church" often find that useful when gathering together.

Over the years, a number of varying and often unattractive meanings have been attached to the word "church." Certainly, it has produced many negative impacts on society throughout history, a fact which delights a great many anti-church people. One need only open the history books and read about the Inquisition that began in 12th century France to realize how badly the church has been misused. Even today, there are those who point to the church as the root of society's problems.

There are those who say that today's church is full of hypocrites, and perhaps it is. There are those who say these churches are full of sinners, and I would agree with that. In his welcome to a church worship service, I once heard a pastor say, "Welcome to our church, you won't find a better bunch of sinners anywhere." Truer words were never spoken.

As members of Jesus Christ's Holy Church, we recognize our sin and seek forgiveness, as well as redemption. When that happens, a powerful thing can happen. Like water, followers of Christ come together and form a force that channels the very power of God. Isn't that valuable enough to set aside petty differences with others? Just think of the kind of power that could be brought to bear with every Christian working together in unison. Talk about mountains moving.

Yes, we could learn something from water.


Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
– Ephesians 2:19-22


Keywords: Church, Sinners, Hypocrites


Comment publicly to Writing.com community below,
or comment privately to: ehwharton@Writing.com

© Copyright 2024 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880498-The-True-Church