*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880350-Welcoming-Persecution
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#880350 added November 10, 2018 at 1:04pm
Restrictions: None
Welcoming Persecution
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.–Matthew 5:10-12

Is persecution coming to America? A lot of followers of Christ believe so. In fact, there are many who believe the time has already begun. It certainly has begun in other parts of the world such as North Korea, Syria, and Iraq ... to name the top three. Christians are being beheaded just for being "People of the Cross." No one wants to call it genocide, but that's what it is.

None of that has reached American shores, but there is certainly a rising disdain for those of the Christian faith for being homophobic, hate-mongers, anti-science, misogynistic, hypocritical, degrading, disruptive and even divisive among themselves. So, while the most horrendous forms of persecution have yet to arrive, certainly Christians are being reviled for their beliefs.

How should believers respond when people say evil against us? Peter probably said it best in 1 Peter 4:12-14:

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

As Peter states, followers of Christ need not be surprised or complain about this form of persecution. While its a fact that believers may be treated unfairly, its not something to abhor. Perhaps we should look at it as a badge of honor, an affirmation of our faith.

No one wants to be persecuted, but even Jesus preached that we would actually be blessed if we are persecuted and who doesn't want to receive blessings bestowed by God? In fact, perhaps we should say if we aren't being persecuted for our faith, then perhaps we aren't being vocal enough about our faith to actually be reviled for it. We must never hide our faith from view, hoping no one will notice. If we do that, how secure will we be in our faith when real persecution comes, when lives are actually in danger?

Do we follow Christ only when the weather is warm and the sky is is clear? Does the sports player practice all week only to shy away from the big game? Do runners go out every day to condition themselves, whatever the weather, but not run the race; and even if they run simply to improve their health, do they not stand on the scales? Does the artist paint and not show or the musician practice and not perform? We should never shy away from the test of our faith—forged in prayer, bible study, and fellowship—to run frightened from persecution, or even complain about the unfairness of it.

Is the value of our faith only in what we can get from it? Or is how we respond to persecution the measure of it, not by hitting back, making vile comments, or offering condemnations, but by simply standing firm and resolute—demonstrating grace but defending truth. For there lies the true test of our faith.

© Copyright 2018 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880350-Welcoming-Persecution