*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881097-Lies-and-Legends
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#881097 added May 2, 2016 at 12:24am
Restrictions: None
Lies and Legends
         I'm almost finished reading Lies and Legends by Bill O'Reilly and friend. Tonight I discovered they've turned it into a TV documentary on Fox News. So I can see one chapter a week.

         I read the Billy the Kid chapter first, from the end of the book, since I'm interested in western folklore. I was already aware that many unsubstantiated stories existed about him, and the details of his death were challenged in a 1950's film. with Walter Huston and Jane Russell. So that wasn't particularly revealing, but confirmed that myths and tall tales exist.

         The first chapter was about Daniel Boone; nothing real surprising there either, except that he was more of a gentleman than I had thought. His upbringing and family connections were a little better than Davy Crockett. The episode I watched tonight was on David Crockett, the second chapter. So I think I might have missed a week. The TV version lined up fairly well with the book and didn't reveal anything new.

         I recommend the book to anyone who has heard a lot of the myths and legends of western figures like Wild Bill Hickok or Buffalo Bill. It won't change your views on American history, but will help you get your facts straight, if you're into historical accuracy. I think the hour long TV show may be worth watching as well. It's a show the whole family can watch, although preschoolers might be bored by it.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881097-Lies-and-Legends