*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882040-Horror-Genre-and-Friday-the-13th
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#882040 added May 13, 2016 at 11:20am
Restrictions: None
Horror Genre and Friday the 13th
It's Friday the 13th, a horror writer’s favorite day, I am told. I think horror is an interesting genre; what do you think? Could you easily write horror? Or would you rather just read it? Pass on it. Do you have favorite authors?

====================

I am not too crazy about the horror genre only because some horror writers take it as a means to scare people with disconnected and inane scenes and events. On the other hand, authors like Dean Koontz and Stephen King make it into an art form that enhances the suspense and mystery in a strong and meaningful plot and characters.

When it comes to reading other horror writers, not always finding the same quality in their work, I am hesitant to read them.

As for me, I could probably write horror, but even a short story would take me years, if I could make it fit my standards. That isn’t to say I haven’t written any. I have but, to be honest, I am disappointed in them.

The horror genre is being thought of as being somehow analogous to Friday the 13th, for the unlucky idea in the day, which is a total superstition. Fear of Friday the 13th, one of the most popular myths in science, is called paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13. The fear is in the fact that I think I’ll lose my tongue, my mind, or something else trying to pronounce these Greek words.

As to Friday the 13th, I don’t think it is unlucky. Otherwise, I wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. Believe me, I wouldn’t. I am not a glutton for punishment, but then, there is that saying:
“Don't be superstitious. Nothing will happen on Friday the 13th that cannot happen on Saturday the 14th.”

Now, should I be worried about tomorrow, too? *Laugh*


Answer to the Bonus Question:Do you have friggatriskaidekaphobia?

No, I don't. I rather like number 13. SMS was born on a Friday the 13th. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13. When you add the numbers in 13, you get four. Four is the number of the legs on a traditional table. It holds everything up. *Smile*

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882040-Horror-Genre-and-Friday-the-13th