*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882225-Act-of-Kindness
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#882225 added May 16, 2016 at 12:07am
Restrictions: None
Act of Kindness
         A few weeks ago I was in another state. I was not familiar with the area. I relied on GPS, who is not my dearest friend. She kept trying to turn me into a cemetery for one thing. Three days in a row, she tried to send me down a road with a wide gaping hole in the pavement. When I followed the detour signs to avoid the hole, she yelled at me and called me names and attempted to have me circle the block and go down that road anyway. I followed my own sense of direction, which is not so great, to get around the construction, since the signs disappeared in one block, until the satellite could relocate me and the voice could give me new directions.

         A few times I became agitated and argued with the voice, but that didn't turn out well. By Sunday night I had to be in a different area, and the place was not recognized by GPS. The street address was not in GPS. I began to panic. The biggest event of the whole convention was that evening. I went to the hotel desk and asked. No one knew. The manager checked his computer and couldn't find it. Who knows what program he was using! Then a housekeeper happened to walk into the lobby.

         Yes, she sort of knew where it was, but couldn't explain. She said, "It's the end of my shift. I have to check out and speak to my boss. I'll lead you there, so you won't get lost." She went out and told her husband, who was picking her up, then disappeared down a long row. I turned the car around, and her husband came over to ask the address. He didn't know where it was, so I began to lose faith.

         When the housekeeper came back, she took a look at my paper, then said, "I bet that's where the golf course is."

         "Yes," I replied. "Country clubs always have golf courses."

         I felt relieved and followed them. Miles later, I began to wonder what I was doing, following strange people in a big city far from my home. I decided that if it began to look desolate or like a slum, I would ditch them. Finally, I saw the city limits sign, and figured we were getting closer. A few more miles and the country club sign appeared. I made a left turn and waved them on.

         By the time I had my parking place,their beat up old car was behind me. They had turned in at the next entrance. I got out figuring they were hoping for a tip. I dug for my wallet.

         "Are you okay?" she asked. I assured her I was fine and tried to give her some money. But the reason they stopped was to give me directions back to the hotel, so that I wouldn't be lost after dark. I tried again to give her enough money for some gas. Again she refused, saying that God blesses her every day. I offered to leave a gift to cover gas at the hotel. She said she wouldn't be working the next day, but she didn't need anything. God blesses her every day.

         I haven't given it considerable thought, since she had such an impression on me. I am not the kind of person who would drive out of my way to show someone how to get somewhere, especially at the end of my shift. Maybe if I was with someone else in my car, and the traveler was a woman alone, but no, probably not. I'd give directions. It will weigh on my mind, however, forever.

         What impressed me even more is that she didn't take credit for being good or kind. She gave God the credit. Because God blessed her, she could share kindness with others. She wouldn't take a reward because God rewards her. Most people don't even acknowledge their blessings.

          Caitlin,thank you. You have made a big impact on me. I hope God keeps blessing you, and you keep paying it forward.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882225-Act-of-Kindness