*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
13
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883231
Rated: 13+ · Book · Religious · #2079713
Daily devotions of Christian scripture and encouragement
#883231 added March 9, 2020 at 1:09pm
Restrictions: None
The Gospel of Peace
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.–Ephesians 6:14-18

Napoleon once said, "An army marches on its stomach," but in reality an army marches on its feet. Even in this modern age of self-powered vehicles, boots still need to hit the ground. Our spiritual equipment requires no less.

Have you ever noticed which is the last article of clothing you put on. Other than an overcoat which isn't always needed, we tend to always pull on our shoes last. Its only then we feel ready to go. This is the readiness Paul talks about. It's only when we fit our feet are we ready to battle the enemy. But what is it that we makes us ready?

Paul uses the term "gospel of peace" to describe what makes our feet ready to go into battle. Peace is another of those words that, like love, seems to be not only overused, but used in the wrong way. Jesus is called the Prince of Peace, but why then does He say, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34). It is not earthly civil peace between men—the lack of warfare—that Christ brings, but peace between God and man.

A better word might be reconciliation, a reconciliation with God, bringing man back into divine favor that was lost at the Garden of Eden. By using the phrase "gospel of peace," Paul is using it in the sense of happiness—the "good news of bliss"—or that which will bring us into a state of pure happiness which we can only feel in the presence of our creator. And our reconciliation with God can only come through the blood of Jesus Christ, which is the very foundation on which our belief is based.

If we don't understand that, if we don't believe that only through Christ can we approach God, then we might as well be going to war in our bare feet. In doing so, we simply wouldn't last very long. There are many circumstances where an unshod army failed. A soldier without proper footwear is ineffective against the enemy. He might as well not even show up on the battlefield.

That's how important it is to understand, and base our faith on, this reconciliation with God. If we don't believe that the blood of Christ covered our sins so that we may stand before God, we need to go back to boot camp (pun intended).

And if any one reading this—you dear reader—has not been reconciled to God by accepting Christ as your savior, pause in your life right now. Take a moment to understand your need for this reconciliation, let the Holy Spirit into your heart, and be lead back to God. All you have to do is ask. Salvation is a free gift.

© Copyright 2020 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883231