*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884045-Too-many-obligations
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#884045 added June 6, 2016 at 11:23pm
Restrictions: None
Too many obligations
         Sometimes it just feels like I've taken on too much. I don't know how it happens. It's not like I volunteer for anything. I just suddenly find myself in a lot of crises, having meetings and appointments, and deadlines to meet. That's when they want me to work more hours. I hate turning them down when it concerns money.

         I guess it's the unexpected things that bring on the feeling of being burdened. But it's the unexpected thing that is usually the most urgent. If something has to be eliminated, it's going to be the item that doesn't affect other people or groups. That normally ends up being my writing deadlines or contests to which I committed. I'm the only one who misses out on those. Nobody else knows I didn't complete my mission, but it effects me and my mental attitude.

         One thing I have come to realize is that caregivers have a big burden. Parents are usually young and still have some energy and strength. But those who take care of ailing spouses, parents or siblings, take on a heavy load. Freedom is much more limited than when you can tote a child around. Children do get older and learn. The elderly are much bigger and just keep getting weaker.

         A woman I know loves her sister dearly. Her sister still goes out and can help around the house a little and do dishes, and so forth. But she requires a lot of trips to the doctor, can't drive, and gets very emotional. My friend is retired, so she may have more time, but it requires a lot of patience and calm to persevere. She still tries to have a life outside the home with her friends and church and volunteers. At times, she's at her wits' end.

         You hate to say, I can't take food to funerals of non-family. You hate to refuse every committee or every service that comes along. You have to prioritize and leave time for the unexpected. The weeks I think I have to myself with little going on are the ones that go haywire the fastest.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884045-Too-many-obligations