*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884310-Competitiveness
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#884310 added June 11, 2016 at 10:16am
Restrictions: None
Competitiveness
Are you a better sport as an adult or more competitive than you were as a child?

==========================

I wasn’t competitive at all as a child, possibly because of having no siblings. I learned competition from the society as I grew up. As an adult, I am still not very competitive, if alone, but put me in a team, I turn into a tiger, surprising even myself. I don’t know why this is so with me. Is it because I want the work done or is it because I like the excitement of it? Possibly it is both.

Yet, it is said that competition brings out the best in output but the worst in people. In addition, it has long and short term negative effects on the losers, who might label themselves as failures.

Even so, those negatives can be handled with TLC, urging people into friendships with the rivals and lifting the moods of those who lose in a race by stroking their egos and pointing out to them the good things they did during the challenge.

I think the good side of all competition should be encouraged, also, because of the drive from within an individual to accomplish a goal, to bring out the best in people, and help everyone to better understand themselves. After all, what is wrong with being a competitive person if that person is ambitious, achievement-oriented with leadership qualities, and has a healthy level of self-esteem while he or she shows respect to his or her rivals?

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884310-Competitiveness