*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884355-Disillusioned-or-Enlightened
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#884355 added June 11, 2016 at 11:48pm
Restrictions: None
Disillusioned or Enlightened?
         Several years ago I discovered an old TV show and became addicted to it. When the opportunity arose to go to a reunion of the cast, I jumped at the chance. I was a little star struck with the first one I talked to. I felt awkward visiting them and getting autographs. I know they're just everyday people who did public things. But I was fascinated with them and wanted to talk with them. I didn't want to buy things or get memorabilia. They were there to make money selling things about themselves.

         So my first disappointment was that they were so mercenary. They were gracious to their fans, many of whom were obnoxious. I may have been too abrupt to that first one, but I moved on quickly. They weren't up for interviews, however. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting other fans. It was a pleasant crowd overall.

         What I find interesting afterwards is the way I now feel about the show. I see the young actors, and I think, "I know how you turned out." Or I think, that manly guy is now bent over, gray, and wrinkled or has shrunk. They're not on pedestals any more. None of the actors on any show or in any movie seems that special any more. They're just fallible humans like you and me. The one that had appeared the hottest to me, I look at now, and I wonder what did I ever see in him? He's a bit of a smarta--. The crush that I had, even on him at his current age, is long gone.

         But there is one guy, almost 90, who really impressed me. He worked with his fans. Watching him with the people was like watching magic. It was fascinating. He was so humble, so decent. He didn't bring anything to sell. He signed for free whatever people handed him. He returned all his fee to the charity. He was available to anyone who wanted to talk. He sat on a table outside the arena, and when no one else was around, I asked him some questions. He really listened to me. He answered me. He was polite and excused himself when he had to go. He was a supporting actor. I never had a crush on him. But I fell in love with him that weekend. No worries, I'm harmless. Now when I see him on TV or in a movie, I think,"There he is!", and I smile.

         I'm still a fan of that show, but somehow it glimmers a little less. The one I hold in highest esteem now is the one I hardly paid attention to before I went to this event. Maybe getting up close and personal removes the mystique. And seeing the depth of character raises that person up.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884355-Disillusioned-or-Enlightened