*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884487-June-Fantasy-Newsletter-Letter-from-the-Editor
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#884487 added June 15, 2016 at 6:34pm
Restrictions: None
June Fantasy Newsletter Letter from the Editor
Title

Mythological Creatures #6
Subtitle

Writing stories about mythological creatures
Hook

My Jackalopes want someone to pet them behind their horns.

About this Newsletter

"There is no mythical creatures just creatures man ran in to hiding."
Julia Golding

"If you want to make a mythical creature, just take a regular animal and add wings to it. A horse becomes a Pegasus, a lion becomes a griffin, and a hawk... becomes a double hawk."
Demetri Martin


Letter from the Editor

I had an interesting experience this last month writing about jackalopes. I wrote two stories about them and in everyone of the stories my jackalopes wanted someone to pet them behind their horns. One of the stories was for a short story challenge I am participating in. The other story was a blog entry in response to a prompt about finding a box on my doorstep.

I did the research, but the warrior hares in my story wanted to be cuddle instead of going into battle. I suspect my characters, in this case the jackalopes, are writing the stories. An alternate explanation has to do with my subconscious mind. Perhaps I cannot visualize rabbits or their relatives as being dangerous. I am attempting another jackalope story before the end of June. I am going to do more research to see if I can write a jackalope that is a little closer to the myth.

I had only two entries in last month's contest. Each of the contestants will receive a mythology merit badge for their efforts. I enjoyed reading both stories Please read and review those stories and the other stories in the editors picks.

There are many wonderful and intriguing mythical creatures. Many of these creatures are combinations of two or more living creatures. The challenge for the next newsletter is to combine the attributes of two different living or extinct creatures to create a mythological animal. This should be a different from those mythological creatures we know of. The deadline is Wednesday, July 6 with a word count limit of 2,000.

Editors Picks

 
STATIC
The Call of the Sea  (E)
Written for Daily Flash Fiction - Prompt to write a story using words sand, shell, and key
#2084939 by Choconut ~ House Targaryen

Excerpt: For as long as she could remember, Tanzie knew she was different. Stories her mother told her, of the call of the sea, flowed through her veins. Yes, her life had been normal up until now. She had good school grades, a successful career, then a handsome husband, with two small children. But it never felt enough.

 
STATIC
Pixie The Purple Polar Bear-chapter 1   (E)
Two children meet a purple bear from another planet
#2081301 by Maryann - House Martell

Excerpt: Ava listened carefully, as her teacher told the details of the new art project. "Make a collage of photos."

Submission From the Readers

 
STATIC
A Dragon with a Bad Habit  (E)
The Town's at risk when the dragon exits its cave
#1924544 by Quick-Quill

Excerpt: "He's out and running a muck again." Dieter stopped in the middle of Scrogg Village, bent over and took deep breaths.

 Hare Trigger  (ASR)
A know-it-all faces off against the unknown-at-all. (a Michael Reeve wizard story)
#2085043 by BD Mitchell

Excerpt: Professional wizardry is a very inconsistent job. Most of the time, it requires little more than strutting about and acting like you're automatically smarter than everyone else in the room – and believe me, no one struts and feigns smartness better than Michael Reeve.

 
STATIC
Guardian in the Storm  (13+)
Short story: Sasquatch & Jackalopes for Monsters #5
#2086716 by GaelicQueen

Excerpt: “Doug, we’ve been hiking around this mountain all day and haven’t seen traces of any rabbits, foxes, or bears. It’s as though all the furry animals have gone to ground,” Leland complained.


Tadpole1 writes: Hi PS,

Although I am not entering the contest because my story is too long, your newsletter made me think of it. I must say thank you for introducing me to the jackolope. I love it!

Anyway, if you are interested, and just for fun, here is the link to my short story.

 
STATIC
Flight from the Rougarou  (E)
Max 2200 words. Will the terrible rougarou transform Benny? Based on Louisiana folklore.
#2070870 by Tadpole1


It is my twist on another American legend.

Tadpole1

Quick-Quill writes: I have written a story about the mythical Jersey Devil. My won take on it. Its fun to take myths and add them to lie The dragon Blows is just a cute story.

BD Mitchell writes: I'd been blanking on a subject for one of my wizard stories for nearly six months. It's nice to get even a jackalope-sized clump of inspiration!

GaelicQueen writes: Raining at my house makes good background noise while I type this story for Monsters #5. Enjoy
 
STATIC
Guardian in the Storm  (13+)
Short story: Sasquatch & Jackalopes for Monsters #5
#2086716 by GaelicQueen


© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/884487-June-Fantasy-Newsletter-Letter-from-the-Editor