*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885281-Thoughts-Words-and-Actions
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#885281 added June 27, 2016 at 8:54am
Restrictions: None
Thoughts, Words and Actions
One of the interesting things about how people operate is that they think one thing, say another and wind up acting a third.

This aspect of the human Modus Operandi is something that a writer can exploit to good effect. For example suppose a man and woman are having dinner together for the first time.

"You're really going to like the shrimp," Charles said,

Somehow I'm not surprised, a "Shrimp" like you has that for a favorite."

"...the sauce is particularly tangy."

Clara dipped one, taking a bite. "Yes, they're delicious." Why is it that short men are forever trying to spice things up?"

"The wine is out of this world."

She took a sip.

Perhaps it's because of their stature.... or perhaps a shortness somewhere else."

"Delightful."

"I'm sure you'll find the main course equally as satisfying."

"I can't wait to try it." ...if that's the main course, you really have in mind."

"The steak will melt in your mouth."

Does that portend what I think it does?

She offered her signature plastic smile. "You have my heart racing like a school girls' " Actually, I'd think a brat more to your liking... thick and short, with a curve in the middle.

"After dinner I've a suggestion."

"Yes....?"

"Some quiet conversation."

Conversation indeed!

"Ahhh, the waiter's coming."

"How'd you find the resturant?"

"A friend referred me."

... need I guess who that was? "Go on, you can tell me his name."

And so the banter goes.... saying and thinking different things, however it gets even better when you start adding the action... Often it is contrary to where a reader might expect it to go.


© Copyright 2016 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885281-Thoughts-Words-and-Actions