*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886185-Commercials-cant-live-with-or-without-them
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#886185 added July 1, 2016 at 4:13pm
Restrictions: None
Commercials can't live with or without them

Fun Fact Friday!

On this day in 1941, the Bulova Watch Company sponsored the first TV commercial in New York City, NY. How do you feel about commercials? Is there a current or past commercial you're particularly fond of (or perhaps really dislike)? Tell us about it.


Owl with an attitude Today's tea is OOLong Gingsing served in my new Writing.com cup. *Cool*


We only get TV with an antenna. That limits us to NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and PBC (or PBS). NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX take advantage of us with commercials. An hour long program seems like it is usually about 30 minutes of story time and 30 minutes of commercial.

www.tvweek.com says the average commercial has shortened over the years from 60 seconds, to 30 seconds, down to 10 seconds. They have a comment section on their website. Some people have commented that there is now 6 minute breaks for every 5 to 6 minutes of a movie.

Even though the breaks can be short they are crammed with many different commercials one after another.

Apparently sports programs are fair game as breaks can happen at anytime and be any length.

In the area where I receive TV programs, the same commercials can be run over and over again. We actually use our mute button a great deal. Otherwise, the repetition could drive you mad. *Lightning3* What a thought?

Some of the most horrifying commercials are the drug commercials. They tell you what drug will cure your health problem, then, they follow up with a ultra long list of reasons you should not use the drug or an ultra long list of side affects the drug may give you. So, when you are done listening you pretty much have decided to live with the illness rather than be killed off with the drug that may or may not cure you. (MUTE IT!!)

Once in awhile there is a funny one. I recently became enthralled with the one about the miniature horse getting his own doggy door because the Clydesdale's ran away and would not play with him. *Rolling* Amazon probably does sell everything.

It really isn't so far fetched since I used to know a family who always arrived with a two horse trailer, hauling quarter horses, to a gymkhana and a miniature horse riding up front in the passenger seat of their truck *Laugh*

Basically, I prefer Netflix with no commercials unless previews count? I like previews.

So, we often order DVD's from Netflix because we can watch a TV series totally free from commercials.

I have to add that I have been informed of products I later bought by watching a commercial. So, the news isn't all bad.

My Big question is what can be done about so many breaks and so many commercials? There must be a solution? The Networks need to earn a living. This is the way they do it. Again I say (MUTE IT!)

Happy Trails






© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886185-Commercials-cant-live-with-or-without-them