*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886851-Not-Boring--Games
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#886851 added July 8, 2016 at 4:08pm
Restrictions: None
Not Boring Games
Prompt:Fun Fact Friday! On this day in 1969, the U.S. Patent Office issued a patent for the game Twister . Do you and /or your family still play traditional board games? Is there a favourite IN Your group?
         Oh, the memories of contorting myself into strange stretches, and trying not to giggle while bent around a friend. Although I haven't twisted in years, I can still see those brightly-coloured dots of yellow, red, blue, and green. I imagine my granddaughters would find this a great laugh.
         Speaking of my giggly grands, they enjoy playing Pictionary or Picture This. It is quite the exercise in patience and restraint to sit and participate, in a game that requires at least a smidgen of drawing skill , with children . Feelings can be hurt at wrong guesses . If they are intent on seriously competing, laughter is forbidden . Frustration may rear it's ugly head. My grands are almost five years apart in age, and therefore, abilities. The youngest sometimes struggles to create a drawing. She doesn't think like her sister, and she resents the differences despite assurances that she is not supposed to be exactly like her older sibling. For some reason she insists upon playing this game. I think she sees it as a challenge to master.
          I remember passing the time with some adult friends and Pictionary . Our opponents were a long-married couple who agreed to disagree; they never could see eye to eye. I swear the husband drew an elaborate telephone with many details, and his wife just could not recognize it. My hubby scrawled a simple horizontal line, and I instantly knew it was a silver mine .
         My family really enjoys playing the game What's Yours Like? Hilarity ensues! Basically , one person is 'it', and they try to guess a word or topic while processing clues from the other players, the more obscure the better. My clues once were : white, roll, and tearable, not terrible. Of course, it was good ol' toilet paper.
         Board games can be dangerous, just ask my brother. Years ago he and a neighbour friend were deeply engrossed in a spirited round of Monopoly . At one point, my brother lost his temper, and karate -chopped his pal over the head; all because of a dispute over fake five-dollar bills. Rick had a hard head, and he was okay. My brother, Mark ended up with a fractured hand.
          Board games are great for laughs, and never boring; at least for my family.
;

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886851-Not-Boring--Games