*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887680-If-Only
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#887680 added July 17, 2016 at 5:00pm
Restrictions: None
If Only
Prompt :Creation Saturday! The comeback of your life begins with.....
         One minute I was minding my own business , wandering the eerily empty aisles, scanning shelves for some supper inspiration . In the next instance, I felt a jolt, the sudden surprise kind. Down I crashed; no time for a yelp , or for righteous indignation to register. Somehow my left ankle twisted and contorted itself in screaming protest under my splayed right leg, while my left knee bounced off the unforgiving floor. Somewhat later, too late to absorb the shock, my ample backside billowed around me. What the....?
         I was stunned and sticky. I found myself sprawled in something suspiciously slimey. This was the stuff of litigation themed t.v. ads; a slip and fall. Had anyone witnessed my downfall? Glancing about, I soon perceived that I was alone in my accident. No shocked faces, no gasps. This was a blessing, I could take the much needed time to recover; my wondering wits and my panicked panting.
         Huh, I wasn't numb. My ankle and knee were adamant, they throbbed. Eventually, probably more like a suspended second or two, I pulled myself up to wobble on my right leg. Amazingly, this leg did not crumple. Wincing, I hobbled in slow motion to the nearest check out aptly named the courtesy desk. Three chatting teenaged employees grew silent as I struggled to approach. I tried to smile as I said, " Clean up on aisle four."
         Fast forward to my limping entrance to an emergency room after a forty-five minute ride. I line up as a dutiful future patient to wait my turn at the admittance desk; I know the procedure. When I hear, " Next", I step forward. Duh! I led with the injured foot. Yep, I forgot to put my best foot forward. Boom! I felt the unforgiving floor rush up to meet me. For the second time that evening, I had wrestled with gravity and paid the price. This time my right knee was injured. I had run out of limbs to limp on.
         My son, the catastrophe counsellor/chauffeur/ emergency buddy to this unstable mother quickly assured people I hadn't been drinking, and I was always clumsy. There were definitely tears in my eyes.
         My dramatic search for medical care guaranteed me VIP treatment. I was bumped to the head of the line. No waiting for me. A concerned nurse insisted I remain in a wheelchair. My x-rays were expedited. My consultation with a doctor was the quickest I'd ever experienced. My second fall was documented against the possibility of liability. My diagnosis: a severe sprain and torn ligaments in my ankle, severe bruising of my knees.
         Now my left foot is encased in a walking boot/cast. So far, I have stubbed and split my right big toe, teetered over every pebble, grain of sand and tuft of grass, tripped up and down steps, careened into corners, and wedged my Frankenstein foot into every nook and cranny. Sigh! Clumsy is as clumsy does. My comeback begins with a do over...
This time I not only espy the slippery slimey I side step it.....oh, if only....!

.





© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887680-If-Only