*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/888493-Aches-Pains-and-Laughter
by River
Rated: ASR · Book · Comedy · #2090787
Getting to know me.
#888493 added July 26, 2016 at 10:46am
Restrictions: None
Aches, Pains, and Laughter
Tuesday July 26, 2016
Aches, Pains, and Laughter.


Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system – which normally protects its health by attacking foreign substances like bacteria and viruses – mistakenly attacks the joints. *Shock2*

One of the first clues was when I was a child. My older sister had friends over and they wanted me to turn the skipping rope for them. I turned for something like an hour, then I got a terrible throbbing pain in my thumb. I dropped the rope on the ground and burst into tears. One of them asked me what was the matter and I replied, “I have a toothache in my thumb.” This became a family joke. Another clue was when taking long walks with my mum and sister my knee joints would buckle and I'd fall on the asphalt on my knees. It was many years later, when speaking with my Rheumatologist, it was discovered that I had suffered from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Finally, at age 19, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. By then I already had some deformities in my hands. The medications back then weren't as sophisticated as today so the deformities and pain got worse and worse and it was obvious I was headed to a life of hell. *Devilish*

The trick of living with this disease is to keep a positive outlook and a sense of humour. Hard lumps, called rheumatoid nodules, grow under the skin in places such as the elbow and hands. One day I look down at my arm and declared, “My God, I have seven elbows.” *Shock2*

It's been a long journey and it isn't over yet. My best advice is, if you suspect you may have RA, get seen by a Rheumatologist as soon as possible.With an early diagnosis and the proper medication you can lead a normal life.

On a Lighter Note:
You Might Have Rheumatoid Arthritis if...
*Laugh* *Rolling*

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if... your fingers are shaped like bowling pins.

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if... you wake up slightly suspicious that your otherwise docile spouse may have beat you in your sleep!

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if... you have more heating pads than remote controls.

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if... you can’t get the lid off of your medication, which is supposed to help your hands so you can do things like get the lid off your medication…

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if..."doing shots" is not affiliated with alcohol, but rather pricking yourself with a needle.

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if... it takes you a minute to realize that the ad on TV for Old Navy "flares" is an ad for blue jeans.

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if...your car doesn't start...because your hand can't turn the key!

You might have Rheumatoid Arthritis if...you're kind of excited about your bronchitis because it means you get extra prednisone!




Paw Print Sig from Leger's Shop

Sir Trevor was here.



A Bit of Newbie Comedy

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2090310 by Not Available.



Getting to Know Me
I love WDC.
I'm a semi-vegetarian.
My favourite colour is blue.


Until next time,
River *Heart*

© Copyright 2016 River (UN: riverbedwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
River has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/888493-Aches-Pains-and-Laughter