*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889343-Olive-Groves-Vineyards-and-aqueducts
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#889343 added August 6, 2016 at 8:57am
Restrictions: None
Olive Groves, Vineyards, and aqueducts
Saturday, August 06, 2016
Reference: https://wikipedia.org {https://plus.google.com/hostel world}

After the long train ride:

We're going to see Antigone which is an interesting area of Montpellier. Its unusual neoclassical architecture was designed by Spanish architect, Ricardo Bofill. Antigone is built on the grounds of the former Joffre Barracks. It stretches from the Polygon Shopping Centre to the River Lez but not stopping because of the timing to reach our next tour.


Spend a half-day sampling fine French wines in France’s largest wine region on this half day tour from Montpellier. Learn about wine production in the Languedoc-Roussillon region as you visit two elegant châteaux around Montpellier and tour the idyllic vineyards. After discovering the different grapes, peeking into the production rooms and learning about the aging process, indulge in an expert-led tasting of red, white and rosé wines. Highlights 3.5-hour wine châteaux tour from Montpellier Visit the vineyards of two magnificent châteaux wineries Sample a variety of fine red, white and rosé wines with expert-led tastings. We have afternoon departure and our travel is by air-conditioned minivan Small-group tour ensures a personalized experience

Quote of the Day: “The rules running each Appellation are archaic, obscure, political and not adapted to modern wine making and marketing…the region’s most famous winemakers do not bother with them”
Julien Vaché https://www.winefolly.com the website hosts a blog about the wine making within Lanquedoc-rousallon. Julien Vach`e has a blog https://julien.quora.comhe blogs about food, wine, and travel

I got up on yesterdays news when I talked to Blue Moon, Wakeup and live-into summer, and Sandra Lyn on the train ride. I love the swift competence of the trains. I hear there is another aqueduct in Montpellier. Will Kittaria climb this one?

I applaud Lyn. The Hostel Prime seems very clean and adequate for rest. The staff is friendly and efficient.

I was really torn between visiting the wineries to the East and another tour that would take me to the North of Montpellier. I finally decided that if this is a one chance option I should go where my curiosity leads. So I opted for a tour that took me to one winery for wine education and then on into Olive growing country.

Our guide proved to be jovial and talkative. I learned so much about the grape vineyards and olive groves. At one time in earlier centuries a lot of wine was made from Gramach. A grape that makes a red wine. It was bottled and sold in great quantities in ceramic jugs. Then more modern techniques were needed. A lot of the Gramach vineyards were torn out and replaced with new varieties such as Carignan, which is a high yield grape. Now, Gramache is coming back as part of the blends that give red French wines there full bodied flavors.

Some of the travelers in our van were tourists from England. The guide made us all feel like we were a united group. I only tasted one wine but, I learned the tasting system and how your nose wworks as well as your taste buds. *Laugh*

Rose wine is pink by its design in the production cycle. White wine uses Picpoul grapes and some Gramache depending on the vineyard and its design.

Many sweet wines like Muscat to Maury are made of Gramache. Some of them are designed and produced to last 100 years.

After we visited the Winery we traveled through acres and acres of vineyards that turned into acres and acres of olive trees. We visited a family owned olive farm. The farm has been passed down through generations. The olive mill was built in the 16th century. They produce olives, olive oil, and vinegar. The land where the olive groves grow has been seeded with flowers. In the spring the groves are a beautiful riot of green and blankets of flowers. It creates a beautiful picture to greet the new season.

An olive tree is growing in my home like a bonsai. I have allowed it to reach 4 feet. It is very special to see the rows and rows of olive trees growing in their arranged and farmed habitat. We did not go hungry because we were fed at the olive farm. Such nice people to welcome curiosity seeking strangers from far off lands.


Sadness struck me as I left Spain behind but Montpellier is filled with ancient architecture, museums, a port, and beautiful beaches. I saw a dock lined with sailing vessels. There are also banks of solar panels here. Now, I am looking at Europe with a French flavor. When you see the ancient architecture of Europe it makes the buildings of the USA seem bland in comparison. This trip is so interesting. Something new around every bend of the train rail.

Merit Badge in Blogging
[Click For More Info]

Congrats on winning 3rd place in the Jan. 2016  [Link To Item #30dbc] !


© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889343-Olive-Groves-Vineyards-and-aqueducts