*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889631-Backpacking-Europe-Day-10
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1954602
I have posted my response to MHWA Mental Health Challenge and other items to this journal.
#889631 added August 10, 2016 at 2:26pm
Restrictions: None
Backpacking Europe: Day 10
Wednesday, August 10, 2016

I don't know where to begin to regather my thoughts because they appear to be scattered all over the landscape. Maybe I should start by finding a thought leaf rake and making a pile of thoughts before stuffing them into the blue plastic bags of my mind. Obviously it's been a while since I gathered my thoughts or raked leaves. I guess I will begin by staring fixedly at the stone exterior of the Bassetto Guesthouse until Lyn's a sly fox or someone else gently pushes me forward with the word "We have to learn how to make pasta."


Making pasta is a new experience for me. I can remember my mother and grandmother making noodles by rolling to dough and then cutting it into strips. I remember helping one of them roll the dough and cut it, but I don't remember making the dough. I did attempt drop dumplings once and ended up with a large cooker of gravy. When I told the story a woman told me I probably didn't make the dumplings thick enough or put enough flour in them. After that I purchased my pasta from the grocery store. The only problem with that pasta is that is doesn't cook up al dente enough for me. I prefer my pasta a little firmer then the store bought pasta turned out. I finally solved that problem by cooking my pasta in a microwave instead of on top of the stove or in a slow cooker.

I hope some of the places we're going has strong coffee with grounds in the bottom of the cup because otherwise I'll be lost in space or wherever my mind goes when I'm excited and tired at the same time. It isn't that I need a lot of sleep because I'm not convinced I do. In fact, I sometime suspect my brother was right about sleep being overrated. The one place I'm looking forward to is the Basilica of Santa Croce and seeing Michelangelo's David.

Basilica of Santa Croce, Florence

The Holy Spirit whispers
proclaiming Christ inspired art
to the meditative soul.

What always amazes me is the spiritual feeling I get in a place of religious worship and an art gallery.

Michelangelo's David

David
a look of peace upon
his face stares into the future.

Boboli Garden

I enjoyed the trees, fountains and statues, but my favorite parts of this was the The Old Coffee House and the Ragnaie (spiders lane). My favorite statue was Pegasus by Aristodemo Costoli because I've always suspected Pegasus was one of a poet's muse.

This is only the second or third time in my life I've been horseback riding and I want to go again.

© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889631-Backpacking-Europe-Day-10