*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889856-Slushees-or-Slurpees
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#889856 added August 13, 2016 at 2:00am
Restrictions: None
Slushees or Slurpees
         There is nothing quite as refreshing in the summer as ice and something sugary. Whoever dreamed up shaved ice was a wonderful humanitarian! Cover that with something like Kool-Aid or cola and WOW! What a winner.

         I had a cherry slushee yesterday--one you buy at the grocer, freeze, then squish and suck. 180 useless calories. Not for the diabetic. I've always wondered why 7-11 or other convenience stores haven't made diet soda one of the regular offerings for their shaved ice drinks. I had one made of apple cider at the local orchard--out of this world, as the sun beat down on us. I would think iced tea would work, too.

         I keep saying I'm going to make one at home, but haven't gotten my Magic Bullet (mini super blender) out yet. I hardly ever use it, so I pack it away.

         I remember years ago I took a forestry class one spring. I thought it would be easy. It was just something to do. I already had a degree. But it was a science class with three hours of note-taking twice a week. And the field trips were strenuous, no picnic. My project involved studying a sect of land after years of drought, a forest fire, and recording all our findings. One team mate wimped out. It was just me and the marine with the machete. He at least knew how to use a compass and kept us from getting lost.

         I recorder everything, but he knew how to do it all. We came out of the woods parched and dry from the pollen and dust. We had been digging dirt and stirring up leaves. We needed a cold drink. I told him we needed a root beer, sweet and cold. So that's what we got. He agreed. Sugar and extreme cold ended our misery and brought us back to life. (Got an A by the way. We were the only two in the class.)

         I don't know how the world got by before ice was commercialized.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889856-Slushees-or-Slurpees