*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/891176-Camp-Young-At-Heart
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#891176 added August 31, 2016 at 12:14am
Restrictions: None
Camp Young At Heart
         Okay, I did try something new this week. I went to the area Camp Young At Heart. As expected from the title, it is aimed at retirees or at least older folks, or people who don't mind hanging out with older folks. Most of my friends are a decade or two older. I dunno. Anyway. . .

         There's an opening devotional. You don't have to be a church member to attend, but it's advertised through the local churches, of all denominations, and it is held at a church next to the mall. (That particular church feeds the homeless in the winter and gives overnight shelter to women only. They arrange for free flu shots, etc., for those staying there.) Twenty-one area churches, including the whole county, participated. You pay $20 in advance, take your own lunch, and sign up for three classes. The drawing/painting class counts as two classes. There are people who repeat that class every year.

         I've never been before, and thought I'd like to try. I asked for time off from work and picked my classes. However, Dad's eye surgery ended up in the middle, so I only got to go one day, but I enjoyed it. I picked digital photography. I learned things about my cell phone I didn't know, and am really sorry I didn't get to go to the lighting and format class today. The second class was about the history of this area. The information was good, but the speaker was a true historian with the professorial look about her and a monotone low voice. Considering I had a long weekend of work, church, and overnight guests, I was tired, so her class was tough. I yawned constantly.

         At lunch I sat with a lady I know in a wheel chair, and we were entertained by an older gentleman on a guitar. My third class was tai chi. Yes, tai chi. It's harder than you think, but it was fun. I really hate missing the rest of it. The teacher was a young woman who got into it to manage pain. I actually think I could get into that myself, if I could work out the costs and the schedule.

         I didn't get all the benefits, but family comes first. I did get a taste of it. I will recommend it to others in the community next year.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/891176-Camp-Young-At-Heart