*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/891883-September-9th
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#891883 added September 9, 2016 at 7:38pm
Restrictions: None
September 9th
PROMPT: Fun Fact Friday! On this day in 1998, four tourists who had $32, 500 each were taken in a submarine to view the wreckage of the Titanic ( the ship is 2 miles below the Atlantic off Newfoundland). Assuming money is no object, what do you think would be a fair price to pay for something that maybe would've been considered at one time impossible to see?
          Hmmm, this is a puzzler. What is so valuable that someone would pay anything, possibly, probably an exorbitant sum , to see? What is so worthy of extravagant curiosity?
         Here, in Canada people are lining up to visit a defunct maximum security prison. Do they fork out hard earned money for this experience? I don't know. Why do they do this ? I don't know. Are they fascinated and enthralled with this former place of incarceration? I don't know. I suppose it's similar to touring Alcatraz in the U.S. This does not appeal to me no matter the cost. Viewing the wreckage of the Titanic is not my cup of tea either. It's the resting place of many unfortunate people.
         I'm not interested in blasting into outer space to visit the moon, or Mars. So, they exist, why do I need to see them up close? They are uninhabitable. The method of transport itself would be more intriguing, a space ship, but the destination not so much.
         Perhaps it would cost millions to visit the lost city of Pompei. Most likely it would be fascinating historically, but again, it's the sight of a devastating catastrophe. People died and its now more of a sacred spot, a memorial. Turning it into an expedition site would be disrespectful. Tourist destinations can become carnivals.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/891883-September-9th