*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892300-Life-Altering-Moments
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#892300 added September 15, 2016 at 2:35pm
Restrictions: None
Life Altering Moments
         All of us older folks remember where we were or what we were doing when John F Kennedy was shot. The media made it available to us immediately. It was so immense that wherever you were, someone stopped you from work or school to tell you the news. And life just seemed to halt.

         More of us adults remember the space shuttle disintegrating before our very eyes. We stared at the TV, watching what we thought would be a routine but exciting take-off. Suddenly something didn't seem right. Even the uneducated knew it didn't look right. The reporters didn't know quite what to say. Those lives of the bright and capable were lost in an instant. And it's heart-rending just to remember.

         Sept. 11, fifteen years ago was another one of those motion stopping days. Bosses stood with their employees listening to the radio, or watching TV news, or reading the Internet for the latest development. It was unbelievable. Could this really be happening? Time seemed to unfold slowly as more bad news just poured in. And the world changed forever that day.

         Fifteen years later, it seems the world is worse than ever. It's a frightening place where everyone is suspect, no one can be trusted. Two criminals are running for president, and we have to pick the one who we believe will do the least harm to our nation. (We'll agree to disagree.) Yet, the human heart holds onto hope that a better day will come. Peace is a worthwhile objective.

         By remembering those solemn moments, those dark days, we are not dwelling on the evil in the world. We are refocusing our energy and objectives to live peaceful lives, to practice mercy and justice. Let us not be doormats, or make ourselves vulnerable to the corrupt, but live in peace with all.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892300-Life-Altering-Moments