*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892334-The-Pilgrims-traits-and-inspiration
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #2086593
Daily scribbles on writing and living. How to get rid of cobwebs in my brain. CLOSED.
#892334 added September 16, 2016 at 2:29am
Restrictions: None
The Pilgrims, traits and inspiration
*Right*Fun Fact Friday! On this day in 1620, the Mayflower departed from Plymouth, England. The ship arrived at Provincetown, MA, on November 21st and then at Plymouth, MA, on December 26th; there were 102 passengers on board. Imagine that this voyage never happened...how dramatically would that have affected the course of human history?{30-Day BC)

The Pilgrim ship Mayflower has a famous place in American history as a symbol of early European colonization of the future United States. The Mayflower Compact was the first governing document of Plymouth Colony. The Pilgrims had lived for some years in Leiden, a city in the Dutch Republic. "Just as a spiritual covenant had marked the beginning of their congregation in Leiden, a civil covenant would provide the basis for a secular government in America."

“In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.
Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and advancements of the Christian faith and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the Northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents, solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one another, covenant and combine ourselves together into a civil body politic; for our better ordering, and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame, such just and equal laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions, and offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the colony; unto which we promise all due submission and obedience.
In witness whereof we have hereunto subscribed our names at Cape Cod the 11th of November, in the year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord King James, of England, France, and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth, 1620.”



It marked the beginning of the United States in the form it is now. If this voyage had never gone through, another ship eventually had made the trip, with different passengers and probably a slightly different outcome for that early start of the colony. But the USA would have become a reality nonetheless. I think it is a nice touch that the Pilgrims left from my town Leiden, where I lived, worked and studied for many years.

*Right*"A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life."~ William Ward. Do you agree? If you disagree do you think it is more important to have other characteristics than humor in this balancing act? Like what? (BC)

Humor is number one, I think. But the ability to form loving relationships is a good second. It will help you through life, so you don’t have to walk it alone. Humor is an individualistic trait; the second one is a community trait.



*Right*Jack London said, “You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club." Do you agree or disagree? What inspires you the most? (BCoFs)

I agree. I have waited for nine months for my Muse to show up, he never did and I had a terrible writers block. Then I came upon this site WdC and all changed for me. It is for me the perfect surrounding to get motivated every day (for the past three and a half months now) to write. Without it I would have been in the same rut now. A frame for my writing inspires me the most. WdC gifted me that.



Day FIFTY FIVE "Give It 100!

© Copyright 2016 WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 (UN: wiesblaize at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892334-The-Pilgrims-traits-and-inspiration