*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892976-Comic-Con
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#892976 added September 26, 2016 at 12:25pm
Restrictions: None
Comic-Con
Yesterday, I went to my city's comic-con. Well, one of them, anyway. My city is nerd central, so we actually have two comic-cons. I couldn't be more thrilled by this, just to be clear.

Comic-cons are genuinely something really special. The geekier side of the local community gets to bond together, and share the different things that make us all nerds. TV and film stars, voice actors, and comic artists and writers all make an appearance for the fans to meet. Artists and craftspeople get to sell their wares to the ideal set of customers, and the crowd of attendees can find something for every niche. Cosplayers get to show off the months of hard work they put into their costumes, and the only people who will judge them for it are the people who are judging for the cosplay contest. Independent comic artists and writers are able to sell their books to a rapt audience they may not always have the opportunity to reach.

While I was there, I was able to pick up a stack of new comics, some of which I was even given for free. I got an incredible new piece of X-Files art, in poster format, autographed by the artist. I got to see incredible people and incredible products.

I attended three panels. The first was hosted by a local independent publisher, about publishing comics. This panel actually encouraged me to work harder on my own comic work, and I am now working on creating something with my brother. The second panel was about the cultural significance of comics in the last hundred years of history, hosted by a professor from the media studies department of the local university. This was absolutely fascinating, and I intend to study more about comic history as a result. He also mentioned a number of comics I now need to read, including a Canadian comic series I was not sure I would be able to get my hands onto. Lucky for me someone was giving them away for free across the building from the panel. This was a complete fluke, but I am incredibly excited to have the chance to read it.

The third panel is probably the one I as most excited for, a voice actors' panel, hosted by Voices.com. This featured Christian Potenza, the voice of Jude in 6teen and Chris in Total Drama, and Toby Proctor, the voice of Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon. I sat in the front row and tried not to blush and giggle too much. This was an absolute childhood throwback for me, and I loved every second. I ended up being a bit too starstruck to ask any questions, sadly.

Overall, it was an amazing day. I really can't gush about comic-cons enough. As a fan of a ton of nerdy stuff, they are a blast. As someone who enjoys various creative outlets, it's one of those things that really pushes you into going home and being creative.

© Copyright 2016 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892976-Comic-Con