*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893217-Banned-Books-Week-Five-Awful-Reasons-Books-Are-Banned
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#893217 added September 30, 2016 at 3:10am
Restrictions: None
Banned Books Week: Five Awful Reasons Books Are Banned
As part of Banned Books Week, I would like to break down a few of the reasons books get banned or challenged. As I discuss these reasons, I will also go over why they are awful reasons.

Religion
Don't get me wrong, I think religion can be an incredibly important thing for some people, religion is valid, and it can drive some truly kind and good deeds. Sometimes, however, religion goes in the wrong direction. We have a huge problem with a vocal minority of religious folks who believe that their religious freedom matters more than the religious freedom of others, and that if something goes against their religion than no one should be allowed to have it. Books that involve topics like homosexuality and abortion are deemed anti-religious and anti-family. Even certain books that involve characters of a "different" religion will rile up those who believe that only their own religion should be represented. During the 2000s, the Harry Potter series constantly ranked among the most challenged and banned books in America because it promoted witchcraft and satanism. Besides that fact that that is blatantly false, what is wrong with a little satanism every now and then? Mostly the religious excuse comes down to "I don't agree with it, I don't understand it, therefore no one should else should be allowed to read this."

Sexual and Gender Identity
Sexual and gender identity is just that: a person's identity. This makes it especially infuriating when people challenge or ban books that depict and LGBT+ character. They are anti-religious, anti-family, and inaccurate. I have already addressed it being considered anti-religious and anti-family, but inaccurate? I don't think anyone who is pushing for these books to be banned is in any position to deem another person's identity as inaccurate. Books with LGBT+ characters can be so important for people to read, particularly young people. These books can help you be more understanding of your LGBT+ family and friends, can help you truly understand your own identity, or help you get through rough times with homophobia and transphobia knowing that you're not alone in that.

Sexual Depictions
Sexuality is a big part of the teenage years. Pretending otherwise would be sticking our heads in the sand. Isn't it better to arm our teens with knowledge than to let them go into things they aren't ready for without a clue? Isn't it better to give them experiences they relate to so they know they are not alone? Isn't it better to give them experiences they aren't familiar with so that they can better understand the diverse experiences and people that surround them. Keeping kids in the dark will only hurt them, not benefit them. Even worse, is books about rape and molestation being banned for reasons of being "pornographic." Rape is not pornography. Rape is not there in the book to pleasure lonely teenagers. Rape is there because it is something teenagers experience and need to relate to. Books like I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings have been banned for this reason, which is actually incredibly foul to me. Who is anyone to say that a real person's real experiences are not appropriate? Experiencing sexual violence can make a person feel confused and alone, especially when you're young, and being armed with the knowledge to know where to go in that situation is absolutely vital.

Drugs and Alcohol
Drugs and alcohol are also a part of the teen years. Whether it is a teen at a party, a teen with an addiction, or a teen that has a friend or relative with an addiction, drugs and alcohol will make an appearance in the lives of many teenagers. This is another case of kids needing to know they are not alone, kids who need education about what is going on in the world around them, and kids who would benefit from learning simply to gain more compassion. Is it hard to read about? Yes. But life is hard, and books are an incredibly important way for many people to get through that. Taking away books that deal with these topics, takes away books that educate and support the community of youth.

Violence
I can understand why depictions of violence in literature make a person balk at exposing a child or teenager to it. Violence is hard to deal with. This is another one of those things where I truly believe it is too vital an educational opportunity for us to pass up. To teach children how not to bully or how to stand up to a bully, we show them what it is. To show them why war is wrong and how vital it is to support war-torn communities, we show them what it is. To teach how sexual or gender based violence is harmful, we show them what it is. There are so many books that are deemed too violent, but are absolutely critical learning tools. This is yet another scenario where they may be dealing with some form of violence. Some children may not handle these depictions as well as others, which is why it's important to discuss something with your child if you think they might not benefit from the book, rather than depriving other children of that book too.

Fiction or non-fiction, books can be used as a learning tool for so many big moments in a person's life, good and bad. It is far more important to give people (even kids) the freedom to choose what they want to read, and to leave the door open for discussion to make the learning opportunity a better one.

© Copyright 2016 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893217-Banned-Books-Week-Five-Awful-Reasons-Books-Are-Banned