*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/894176-Confessions-Of-A-Shopaholic
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#894176 added October 10, 2016 at 10:09pm
Restrictions: None
Confessions Of A Shopaholic
         Finally got around to reading this book from 2000. It made the word, "shopaholic", a part of the language. The author, Sophie Kinsella, is British, so the story involves pounds, rather than dollars. Many of the terms and store names are British. But the story is one anyone in modern culture can understand, our obsession with consumerism.

         The protagonist gets her thrills from negotiating a good sale from the best stores, on designer labels, and taking them home with no consideration for whether she needs them or can afford them. In fact, she owns clothes she has never worn. It's the getting, not the using that is most important. I suppose that's a step above what I know some people to do: wear or use the clothes, shoes, or handbags, once, keep it very clean, and return it with all the tags and bags for a refund.

         She further aggravates the situation by ignoring the unpleasant side--the bill collectors, the overdue bills, and warning notices. The irony of it is that she has a job as a financial reporter! She ends up happily though with a dream job and a handsome boyfriend. (totally unbelievable, but funny) However, there is a little twist at the end, when you think she has grown up and reformed, that leaves open the possibility of sequels. And apparently, there have been quite a few.

         It is hilarious light reading. It made me want to go shopping, but, alas, I'm too aware of my spending limits.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/894176-Confessions-Of-A-Shopaholic