*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/895965-Dear-John
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2076320
A third blog? A good idea? A fresh start? A disaster? An omen? ...who knows anything?
#895965 added October 30, 2016 at 9:17am
Restrictions: None
Dear John
It's a long time since I penned a Dear John letter. I remember it clearly all these years later. I was fourteen at the time and after a holiday romance made the decision to write home to my boyfriend and put an end to our budding romance. I often wonder what path life would have taken if I hadn't sent that letter and the recipient still teases me about it to this day.

But this isn't really a letter; more of a dedication. The dear John I refer to is probably my best friend in the world and proof that the Harry met Sally situation needs no debating. Men and women can be devoted friends with no ulterior motive.

I first met John in the eighties. He's a Geordie or for the uninitiated originates from Sunderland in the north of England. He moved to Nottinghamshire to take up the headship of the school where I had worked for ten years. It was at that school I first met my husband and where my son started his education so it's a place I hold close to my heart. I wasn't working at the time he started his career there, but soon started doing some supply work which led to a part time job working alongside John with special needs children. We worked well together and I remember that time as one of the happiest of my teaching career.

John took early retirement in 1992 and completed a course in reflexology. My friend Gillian and I were his guinea pigs during his training but we still have our weekly foot tickling session with John even though he is now fully qualified. Over the years our friendship has blossomed and he is my most supportive friend in many ways. John has a degree in philosophy, a positive attitude and is a brilliant artist. I have a degree in sarcasm, a tendency to negativity and no artistic skills. But we gel. We both read a lot and he is very enthusiastic about my writing, constantly encouraging me to write the novel I have started so many times.

John read the eulogy I had written for my husband's funeral in the church and everyone commented how perfectly he did this. No easy task for anyone and I will always be grateful to him.

During my long, dark spell in hospital John was a constant visitor, never criticising or giving up on me. At the time he had my massive file of poetry in his possession and was ploughing through it all. He didn't know about the year of haiku poems I had written and posted on WDC inspired by alfred booth, wanbli ska but they were in the file and John was so impressed with them he continuously brought examples and his own artistic interpretations to the hospital in an attempt to help me out of the black hole and seek publication.

At that time I couldn't imagine I would ever feel well enough to do that, but thankfully I do now. Out of respect for John and my own wish to start considering serious publication we are going to a local firm next week to put our book together and see it in print. I will send out copies to friends and family, but have no delusions it will ever be more than just a personal project. But I am serious about writing that book now and would love to self publish with the optimum chances of some success. I would really appreciate any advice readers have as it seems rather a minefield out there. My personal story and experiences are rather unusual and I would love to present John with the completed novel I have been promising to write for years. I believe now is the time.

Here are some of the lovely illustrations John has produced inspired by my haiku poems...

Three hours later *Rolleyes* Photos don't seem to want to be posted. I SO wish WDC would simplify its weird methods.


 ~
 ~
 ~
 ~
 ~

© Copyright 2016 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/895965-Dear-John