*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896499-Luck-Be-A-Family
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#896499 added November 3, 2016 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
Luck Be A Family?
         The Wildcard Round! What makes you feel lucky?
          Oh dear, I feel a digression coming on, an off-course ramble... Lucky? Almost immediately, I remembered the Clint Eastwood movie 'Dirty Harry', and his famous line, "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?" This was quickly followed by the lyrics to a Frank Sinatra ditty, 'Luck Be A Lady'. It's pretty obvious I'm dating myself, but this is what my cerebral computer kicked out. Oh wait, now I'm channeling that crazy rooster Foghorn Leghorn. There was something about the way in which he drawled, "Boy." Is there some connection?
         I think the tangled thread knots around my history of accidents. Too many times, emergency physicians have summed up my various injuries with, "You were lucky." In what universe was I lucky? Fractures, stitches, sprains, strains, burns who wishes for this? Because I've personally experienced everything covered in a first aid manual I'm considered lucky?
         Oh I understand the underlying assumption, 'it could've been worse.' therefore, I'm blessed. Yes, I survived to bemoan my fate. So, I was lucky to be unlucky?
          I'm not lucky in the gambling sense. I prefer to keep my money in my pocket, and not purchase lottery tickets. I fail to see how visits to a casino are considered as entertainment, except for the people watching aspect. My chances of losing money far outweigh my chances of winning money. Hey, I'm lucky that I'm not a gambling addict!
          Throughout my childhood, I was told, "find a penny pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck." Perhaps it was more of a hedging-my-bets and this-can't-hurt approach, but I would never ignore an abandoned one-cent piece, I'd rescue it. Maybe I was planning to add those coins to the ones offered as " a penny for your thoughts." Alas, not one of those pennies conjured up tangible luck, but they did give my piggy bank a raison d'etre.
         I've never had a good luck charm, nor am I superstitious. Yep, rabbit foot key chains were once a fad. They weren't especially lucky for rabbits were they? Why were they gaudy, unrabbitlike colours; blue, pink, purple?
         Now If I believe that I live under the auspices of lucky stars, and that fickle fate has favoured me with great fortune, then my family is my blessing. I will admit that I lucked out, I hit the jackpot with the majority of my relatives. They tolerate me. They humour me. They support me. Sure, sometimes they roll their eyes, or sigh, or shrug, or groan, or pull out their hair. They make me feel lucky, and I know they feel lucky to know me too.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896499-Luck-Be-A-Family