*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896525-A-Sore-Point
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ~MM~
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #2101544
Mutterings, musings and general brain flatulence.
#896525 added November 4, 2016 at 9:35am
Restrictions: None
A Sore Point
Fun Fact Friday:
On this day in 1981, the second scheduled flight of the space shuttle Columbia was halted with only 31 seconds left in the countdown. Has there ever been a situation that you went through a lot of trouble trying to pull off (or really looked forward to) only to see it cancelled at the last minute? How did you feel about it, and was it, in retrospect, a good or bad decision?

As you might have guessed from the entry title, this is a bit of a topical sore point for me right now. A couple of things in Real Life have been cancelled or put off recently (including something this morning actually); but the biggie at the moment is my sister not coming for a visit in August. She lives several hours away (which in the UK is something we do make a big deal about as an hour's drive is considered arduous to most Brits*). She had been intending to come down for a week with her partner (who never tries more than about 50miles from home) & his family, and catch up with lots and lots of people - our family on both sides and my meet my partner's family. Massive plans had been made for a huge family get together with all four sides plus my dad's new wife and step-son.
And about ten days before the holiday, she rings to drop the bombshell that she and bf of seven years have broken up. Torn between 'yay you finally got rid of the lump' and 'oh hell, chick, you sure you're okay?' the were a lot of phone calls back and forth over the next few weeks, as you can imagine. For numerous reasons, now ex-bf and his family still came down for their holiday leaving sis behind. And they holiday park they stayed at? Run by my bf's family.... Awkward.

Sis is now completely separate from ex-bf and is dating a guy she met online. And on Monday I'm driving her to the airport so she can move out to N.Carolina to live with him........ And I thought a six hour drive was bad. Not sure I have any words left. *Cry* *Cry* *Cry*




*an American friend once pointed out '100 years is a long time to an American, 100 miles is a long way for a Englishman.'

© Copyright 2016 ~MM~ (UN: miget_mushroom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
~MM~ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896525-A-Sore-Point