*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897271-Charaka-Samhita
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2015972
I have tried to summarize my observation with vivid and simple manner.
#897271 added November 12, 2016 at 11:11pm
Restrictions: None
Charaka Samhita
Charaka Samhita is one of the most ancient, comprehensive and authoritative works of ayurveda. It is considered the original reference book of holistic ayurvedic medicine. In Sanskrit, the term "charaka" could also mean a wandering religious student, scholar, or ascetic.

Quotation

"The three—body, mind and soul—are like a tripod, the world stand by their combination; in them everything abides. It is the subject matter of ayurveda for which the teachings of ayurveda have been revealed." ~ Sutrasthana of Charaka Samhita, ayurvedic text. (1.46-47)

"Life (ayu) is the combination (samyoga) of body, senses, mind and reincarnating soul. Ayurveda is the most sacred science of life, beneficial to humans both in this world and the world beyond." ~ Sutrasthana of Charaka Samhita, ayurvedic text. (1.42-43)

Charaka Samhita

The Caraka Saṃhitā ("Compendium of Caraka") is an early Ayurvedic encyclopedia on medicine. Charaka is often transliterated from Sanskrit as Caraka. The "c" was changed to "ch" to aid in the correct pronunciation in these cases. Of the three surviving ancient great treatises of Ayurveda, namely, the Charaka, Sushruta, and Vagbhata, Charaka is believed to be the oldest and the most important ancient authoritative writings on Ayurveda. Along with the Suśruta Saṃhitā ("Compendium of Suśruta"), it is an important source of medical and life understanding and medicine practice in antiquity.

Charaka Samhita explains the logic and philosophy on which this system of medicine is based. According to Charaka, science is dependent upon a quality of the intellect that enables it to perceive phenomena brought into existence by a multiplicity of causes. Much of this treatise is in the form of a symposium wherein groups of Ayurvedic scholars take up a series of topics for discussion. This gives indication that the science of Ayurveda is a product of constant verification, fine-tuning and authentication by an active community of physicians.

It concentrates on the branch or section called kayachikitsa (internal medicine). This is largely the theory of the internal fire or the digestive function of the body - or internal medicine, in modern terms. From a greater perspective, this work represents a certain value of consciousness as it gives notion that life is fundamentally a field of intelligence and pure knowledge. Charaka lays emphasis on health and longevity, to strike a balance between one's corporeal and spiritual being, a reason why it goes detail into the diagnosis of a disease's origin.

© Copyright 2016 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897271-Charaka-Samhita