*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897920-Birthday-Party
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#897920 added November 19, 2016 at 1:20pm
Restrictions: None
Birthday Party
         There's a party for a one year old today. I have to work, but my dad wants to be there for his youngest great grandson. My brother is coming more than 20 miles away to pick Dad up and go back to the same area for the party. Dad was saying that he is such a burden to my brother.

         My reaction was "You did things for your mother and you never thought she was a burden. You did things for your aunts and uncles because you cared about them; they were never a burden to you. Do you think you raised your children to ignore your example? Don't you think we all love you enough to do things for you?"

         I didn't mention that he did things for his sister and his in-laws without complaining. He's always been there for his kids, even into his eighties. Now that he's slowing down, his children and grandchildren don't mind looking out for him. It's what he taught them.

         He just made one of his half laugh, half snorts. He can't handle emotion. His father didn't either. But he's been a good man all his life. His kids know that. The boys really look up to him. They see fewer flaws than I do. A burden? Sometimes it may feel that way to me when I'm running around with a broom trying to clean up after him, but, no, he's not a burden. We;re in his debt. We live like he taught us. We take care of our family.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897920-Birthday-Party