*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900753-Truly-Nobody-or-Simply-Depressed
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#900753 added January 1, 2017 at 8:03am
Restrictions: None
Truly Nobody or Simply Depressed?
"Truly Nobody or Simply Depressed?

Emily Dickinson once wrote in one of her poems "I'm nobody. Who are you? Are you nobody too?"

One must bear in mind that Emily Dickinson suffered from crippling depression. Depression often has the tendency to leave the person suffering from it with extremely low self-esteem. A sense of total, and utter worthlessness is very common with depression. Of course everybody has days when we feel down. We all have days when we feel as if the world is closing in on us and there is no use in going on. many consider this depression and in a sense they are correct. However it is not defined as the mental illness known as major depression..The criteria for major depression changes with each new edition of the Diagnostic Statistical manual of Mental Disorders or DSM. However the basics remain the same. The basics are a state of extreme apathy lasting for a certain number of weeks, a feeling of hopelessness, worthlessness, and uselessness, extreme lack of energy and other physical criteria, occasional hallucinations, appetite changes, and sleep disorder,

Experts have said that Emily Dickinson displayed the classic symptoms of clinical or major depression. If she were living today there is an excellent chance she would be treated with an class of medication called anti-depressants. There are many types of anti-depressants, each effective in its own right. However when Emily Dickinson was writing there were no anti-depressants. In many cases depression wasn't even recognized as an illness. The person suffering from it was said to be suffering from "melancholy and was often basically told to simply straighten up. So Emily Dickinson saying "I'm nobody," was simply and expression of the extreme sense of worthlessness brought on by the .chemical imbalance in the brain that we now know as depression. Dickinson is not the only famous person to have ever suffered from major depression or some other type of mood disorder.. Albert Einstein is said to have suffered from bouts of depression. Abraham Lincoln is said to have suffered the roller coaster ride of bi-polar disorder, a condition in which the sufferer goes from bouts of severe depression to uncontrollable amounts of energy known as mania. many other historic figures, too numerous to name, also suffered from mental illnesses. Many of these were artists, writers, poets, and musicians. In fact it is thought in many cases that the mental illness is what gave them their creative edge and unique insight. Yes Emily Dickinson said "I'm nobody" and asked "Are you nobody too?"

Many look at this as a deep and profound question. However it was probably more of an expression of the deep sense of emptiness and worthlessness brought on by the mental illness known today as major depression. major depression is no laughing matter. In fact it can be life threatening. If you or somebody you know shows signs of depression do not be ashamed to seek treatment. one in four adults is said to suffer from major depression. Depression can lead to suicidal thoughts and even suicide. if you are thinking of suicide call 1-800-273-8255 and discuss it with somebody or seek help through your nearest emergency room. If you are a veteran you can also call 1-800-273-8255. However veterans should press extension one. This places a flag on their call, and the suicide prevention team of the VA Medical Center nearest them is notified to follow up with them. Lives have been saved by calling this number and those with depression have gone on to live normal lives. You don't have to suffer as Dickinson did. Treatment is available.

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900753-Truly-Nobody-or-Simply-Depressed