*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901300-Celebration
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#901300 added January 6, 2017 at 2:15am
Restrictions: None
Celebration

Kool & the Gang's "Celebration" is one of those songs that's enjoyed perpetual popularity since its release in 1980. I don't think a single year has gone by where I haven't heard it play at a sporting event, wedding, awards ceremony, as part of a soundtrack to a movie or TV show, or something along those lines. Apparently those close to the band predicted its success, with lead singer J.T. Taylor's mother reportedly telling him upon hearing it, "You're going to play this song for the rest of your life, so get ready!" *Smile*

While the song can definitely get annoying when it's overplayed (like that year where my wife and I went to eight wedding... toward the end we were rolling our eyes when it inevitably came up on the DJ's playlist), I don't know anyone who flat-out doesn't like the song or doesn't start tapping their toes when it starts to play. Like "Walkin' on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves, it's one of those iconic upbeat songs that always put a smile on my face and brightens my day.

As I was thinking of what to write for this entry, I did a little research and, being the trivia junkie that I am, found the following tidbits worth sharing:

*Bullet* The Q'uran (specifically a passage about the angels celebrating and singing praises when God created Adam) is rumored to have been the inspiration for the song.

*Bullet* The song "Ladies Night" (also by Kool & the Gang) was also supposedly a source of inspiration. Its lyrics "Come on, let's all celebrate" toward the end of the song inspired the "Celebration" spinoff.

*Bullet* If you're looking for another connection to the song "Ladies Night," both songs featured backing vocals from the female group Something Sweet.

*Bullet* While the song is routinely used for special occasions like weddings and conventions and the like, one of the most prominent early uses of the song was in welcoming home the fifty-two captives held during the Iran Hostage Crisis in 1981.

*Bullet* Eventual frontman J.T. Taylor used to go to Kool & the Gang concerts as an attendee, even trying to sneak backstage and being turned away at one point.

*Bullet* Contrary to its enduring popularity since, "Celebration" was only a #1 Billboard Hot 100 hit for two weeks before getting booted by Dolly Parton's classic "9 to 5." Not to worry, though... it also hit #1 on both the Billboard Dance and Billboard R&B charts, and featured heavily on radio rotations for nearly the entire year.


© Copyright 2017 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901300-Celebration