*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/903791-Ten-Reasons-to-Visit-Your-Local-Library
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#903791 added February 2, 2017 at 1:02pm
Restrictions: None
Ten Reasons to Visit Your Local Library
In recent years, it has become common place to hear about how libraries are no longer relevant or useful, and that they serve no place in today's society. Even well known authors who benefit from library systems (Terry Deary is the first example to come to mind) have made statements such as these. There are honestly few things that make me sadder than this. I truly believe that libraries are as necessary and important than ever, perhaps even more than in the past. The only thing that makes a library less relevant is the lack of funding that would prevent it from staying relevant. Unfortunately some libraries do suffer from being out of date in some aspects, which causes both the library and its patrons to suffer from the lack of benefits.

With this in mind, I present to you a list of things that you can do at your local library. If you agree with my stance, then surely you are already aware of these reasons. If you do not agree with my stance, I hope this list will change your mind.


1. Books!
Yeah, I started with the obvious. It is still absolutely worth mentioning. You can find fiction and non-fiction; children, teen, and adult books; English, French, Spanish, Arabic, etc language writing; large print; audiobooks; etc. It doesn't matter what you prefer to read, you can find it at your local library. Many local libraries have even implemented systems that allow their patrons to check out e-books so that everyone can keep with the times. Many libraries also host book clubs, or allow outside book clubs to use library space. You can read new books, and make friends while you're at it.

2. CDs
I know that a lot of people see CDs as being a bit out of date, but many people still use them. Whether or not you are a person who still makes use of CDs, the local library's collection is always worth checking out. If you're looking for the mainstream current releases ad free, and don't want to pay for a spotify account, the library is the place! If you're looking for classical, jazz, opera, blues, or anything else that might be harder to find in a modern digital system, you could ery well find what you're looking for at the library. It's also worth noting that your local library can provide CDs in a regional category as well--whether you are looking for music from your home town, or music from the other side of the world, the library tends to keep both of these things in abundance. Some of my favourite far away finds were things I first heard on a library CD.

3. DVDs
Streaming can be a lot easier than hunting down a DVD, but it isn't always the best way to find certain items. Certain new releases can be hard to find on streaming services, but might very well be stocked at the library (although they often have a waiting list in my experience). If you enjoy classic film, you might have a hard time finding older films on Netflix and the like, where as they are often kept at the library. I personally have found a great many classics at the library physically, and on the library's streaming service. The library is also more inclined to keep locally released films, particularly in places outside of the US. When US releases can still dominate in other countries, it can be nice to find releases that are a bit closer to home. On the other end of the spectrum, it can also be easier to find releases from far away countries that you wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to see a movie from. This all goes without mentioning that for those who are on a tight budget, nothing quite beats free.

4. Comics and Graphic Novels
I feel like comics and graphic novels should be default included in books, but I also feel like most people don't think of them with books first and foremost, so I thought it justified its own category. As comics and graphic novels surge in popularity, many public libraries are increasing access to them. Whether you're looking for a Scooby Doo comic for your kids, a Batman classic to relive your childhood, classic memoirs like Maus to learn something in a more interesting way, or the latest releases to stay up to date in the medium, many libraries carry all of these things. Some libraries have stocked them for a long time, while others have only newly introduced them. If you already love comics, or you're looking to try them for the first time, the local library is a good source to check.

5. Computers and WiFi
Did your computer crash? Use the library's. Is your WiFi down? Use the library's. Both are great resources when you can't afford either, or don't use either often enough to justify the cost. It's also a wonderful resource for when you simply need the peace and quiet required to complete an online project that a library can provide when your home cannot. Most libraries have the web browsers open to their own site, where you can find countless resources that relate to every other category in this list. It varies from library to library, but I am aware that some also use their internet and computer services as an entertainment feature for children after school and on weekends. My own local library allows children to play video games on their computers, and even offers the occasional program where a group of children are welcomed into the computer lab to play Minecraft together on the same server.

6. Local Interest Materials & Genealogy
If you've ever had even the remotest of interests in local history or in your own family's history, the library is the place to find your answers. Many of them house local records of every sort in order for people to visit and trace their family lineage. Some libraries have a specific shelf where they keep books written by any local authors. Local history in general is typically kept on hand so that anyone can come in, and find out about the area. Many library websites also host additional resources so that you can find some of the information needed from the comfort of your home. Right now my mother has checked out a book on local serial killers because of many of these resources. The book even has a waiting list, proving that not many of the locals particularly enjoy sleep.

7. Magazines & Newspapers
While many newspapers and magazines have closed down, or moved to digital distribution exclusively, there are a great many that still release in print. Magazines and newspapers can both make for an expensive habit, depending on what you like to read, and how often it is released. The library makes for a quite and comfortable place for you to curl up with the local paper or the latest issue of Seventeen or National Geographic, all without paying a dime. My own library often has a group of older folks who come by with coffees in the morning, and read the news for an hour.

8. Cultural Exploration
Your average city public library typically will have books, DVDs, and CDs from a very wide variety of places and cultures. Whether you're looking to try Saharan blues or the latest Japanese literature, you can probably find it. Some libraries even have programs where people of different backgrounds (typically any locals and any immigrants can attend these) meet up and have various discussions, allowing cultural exchange to take place. You can also find all of the nonfiction that you could possibly need to learn more about the places all around the world, and the different types of people who might be in your own area.

9. Community & Programs
Libraries are the perfect community centres. They often offer public space to use for studying, playing, reading, meeting for various groups, and library run programs. Library programs can include anything, including children playing Minecraft together, ESL instruction, homework help, reading aloud to small children, book clubs, author signings, film showings, craft making, and so on. If you have a hobby, it could very well be hosted as a group program in your local library. It's a wonderful chance to do the things you love, while getting involved in the community.

10. Volunteering
Library programs don't run themselves. Whether it involves supervising crafting, reading aloud to kids, mentoring someone who speaks English as a second or third language, clean up, and so on, there are many incredibly rewarding things you can volunteer to do at your local library. I live in Ontario, where you are required to get a minimum of forty volunteer hours to graduate high school. I know there are other places where it is required or suggested as well. If you have to volunteer anyway, why not help out the local library? Even if you don't need to volunteer for any reason, it can be a very satisfying experience, and it helps the library and the community at large. Librarians can only do so much, and libraries rely on their patrons to help make some of the wonderful programs possible.

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/903791-Ten-Reasons-to-Visit-Your-Local-Library