*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904025-Chips-and-Water-Rations
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#904025 added February 5, 2017 at 9:01pm
Restrictions: None
Chips and Water Rations?
PROMPT: You're starving. You've only got $3 and some loose change on you. It's gonna be at least eight hours before you're home or with anyone who can spot you some extra cash. The only place around is a gas station convenience store. What's your go-to food/drink option? Be prepared to defend your choice... you're all a talented bunch of bloggers and I expect to see lots of questions and debates in the comments!
         Umm, so the idea is I'm almost destitute? And I'm too proud, or embarrassed, or inept, or practical to beg? Wait a minute, where's my debit card? Have I misplaced it? Gasp, has it been declined? I thought I had gas station loyalty cards... Really? I only have $3 to my name? Inconceivable! If that's the sad case, I probably have a Loonie and a Twoonie, or as Canadians know a one-dollar coin and a two-dollar coin. With such sad money monikers it doesn't seem as if I have much real money to spare, ahem, I mean spend. While I peruse the slim pickings at the gas station convenience store, I will dampen my hunger pangs with a piece of lint-covered stale gum I discovered stuck to the bottom of my purse...
          Just as I expected, there are those mystery-meat, sausage-stick things prominently displayed by the cash register. Are they kept close and guarded ? As if... why? No thanks, definitely not for me. I don't like to chew on leather, if I did I could gnaw on my belt.
         Oh, how I wish I could be exchanging the last of my hard-earned cash for a tea and doughnut from Timmy's... actually, some of our Canadian gas stations do share space with satellite Tim Hortons! Hallelujah! Does this qualify? Yes? No? maybe not?
         Okay, if there was not a coffee shop present what would I choose to ward off imminent starvation? Candy has its sugary appeal, but I'm not that desperate. I indulged in Christmas chocolate not that long ago. Fruit might be proffered, but, pfft, who am I kidding? I've never been much of a fruit eater, and I've yet to see a gas station selling veggies which I do like.
         Do these establishments offer yogourt? I'm curious, but not tempted. Hmmpf... I suppose I would choose a bag of potato chips, or crisps as you Brits refer to them. They were once nearly related to a vegetable, and they exist in a myriad of flavours. I'm not fond of salt and vinegar ones... shudder...any other seasonings will do.
         For a beverage, I would opt for a bottle of water. Gas station coffee is no better than sludge, and I do not drink soda. At some point during my day, I could refill this bottle from a water fountain. Actually, I 'd have to refill this bottle because the salt from the chips would make me extra thirsty.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904025-Chips-and-Water-Rations