*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904236-Silly-Sandra-Songs
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#904236 added February 8, 2017 at 9:48pm
Restrictions: None
Silly Sandra Songs
PROMPT: Which song about a person, real or imaginary, do you feel best sums up your personality? It doesn't even have to be a song that references someone specific; it can be about a certain type of person, a group of people, or an occupation, etc.
          Today's prompt set me off on a journey to discover songs that featured my name. Before this Google glance, I was only aware of two tunes that mentioned 'Sandra': the 'Grease' version "Sandra Dee", and Lou Bega's "Mambo #5". Neither one of these speaks to my personality. I am most definitely not "lousy with virginity", I'm just putting that out there, make of it what you will. Never have I resorted to uttering, "Hey Fungoo I'm Sandra Dee" either. It would have to be 'Sandra Bee', plus what is a 'fungoo'? The Lou Bega number is kinda catchy and I am immortalized as " a little Sandra in the sun." Who me? I'd be the red-faced, sun-burned one doomed to become flaky. Flaky might be more accurate when describing my personality...
          Good ol' Barry Manilow sings a song titled "Sandra", what a surprise. Apparently, Sandra "hangs by the words to her life." He may be onto something here. Words have always been important to me. Nuances and word play are fascinating, and fun. If I'm not committing wonderful words to paper, I am speaking. "Verbally abundant" and "garrulous", okay, "Chatty Cathy" fit me. I celebrate my life with words.
          I'm not a weeper, or a moaner like the following gal. In 1967, Bobby Bare, ( not Bare Bobby which evokes a stark naked visual), sings woefully of "Sandy's Cryin' Again." "She spoke of love she thought she found, Sandy's cryin' again and cryin's not her style, why I remember when all my Sandy did was smile, but I guess that's part of life just a lesson she must learn, Sandy played with fire and she got burned." This was a hurtin' country song. Nope, not my style at all.
          I like to laugh, and I appreciate the parodies that Weird Al writes. He spoofs the catchy "Blurred Lines" with "Word Crimes", yet I think he makes a valid point. Spelling and grammar are important. My kids warn their friends that I am a spelling Nazi, or the grammar police. No, I do not rely upon intimidation, or strong-arming, but in order to express myself and be understood language is vital.
          Yep, Weird Al gets me. I am "White and Nerdy". He has even penned a tune that sings to my nationality, "Canadian Idiot". It does not offend me in the slightest, in fact, he mentions some of our positives: low crime rate, clean air, maple syrup, national health care, and Monopoly money. Al plays with words, yet creates a message; let loose, laugh, sing, and dance.
         I'll leave you with a little ditty that gets under your skin, and accurately describes my life in Northern Ontario, "The Black Fly Song". The lyrics may be found at lyricsera.com, and there's a cute animated video, too. If you get an itch to burst into song.... " 'Twas early in the spring when I decide to go For to work up in the woods in north Ontario"... "And the black flies, the little black flies Always the black fly, no matter where you go I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones." "It was black fly, black fly everywhere A-crawlin' in your whiskers, a-crawlin' in your hair A-swimmin' in the soup, and a-swimmin' in the tea Oh the Devil take the black fly and let me be."
          I just recalled another vignette that makes me chuckle, "Log Driver's Waltz". It's available, of course, at YouTube.com































































© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904236-Silly-Sandra-Songs