*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905776-Im-not-ready-to-be-beamed-up
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#905776 added March 1, 2017 at 8:42pm
Restrictions: None
I'm not ready to be beamed up...
PROMPT: Is trying to colonize other planets for human settlement a good or bad idea, and why? If it's good, what steps would you see having to take to go into something so big? If bad, what should we do with space programs besides replacing satellites every few years?
         A great deal of money seems to be spent promoting space travel, the building of space ships , satellites, and space stations, astronaut training, designing equipment, and such. It could be argued that those resources would be better spent on earthly programs. Imagine improved healthcare. Imagine more money for environmental concerns.
          Why the interest in the possibility of space settlement? Is mankind seeking somewhere else to pollute? Are there not already abandoned satellites floating in space as galactic garbage?
         Are big businesses seeking new products to exploit and sell for profit? Will there be contractors anticipating handsome pay-outs to construct settlements? Who will supply these colonies? Are McDonald's considering relocating ? Do businesses that advertise with slogans such as "reach for the stars" doing so literally?
         I suppose I have notions rattling about in my head that have been portrayed by 'Star Trek", and 'Star Wars.' Outer space is the last great frontier, a vast wonder waiting to be conquered. So, a frontier like the wild west? Will there be claims to stake? Will there be lawlessness, power struggles, or whatever? Wait, will there be natives to usurp?
         The very word colonize conjures the use of force, and change. Move in and make yourself at home. If a planet is uninhabited then this isn't an issue.
          Is the goal to recreate another Earth? Will the colonists adapt to their new surroundings, or alter it?
          Should there be a re-location lottery? Should qualifications be expected? Maybe there will be interplanetary passports. Would more than one country collude, and co-operate?
         Sigh, I just seem to have more questions than answers. In those immortal words of Scotty of The Starship Enterprise, " I canna hold her together, cap'n." I'm not ready to be beamed up... I'm also not prepared to travel at warp speed whatever that is.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905776-Im-not-ready-to-be-beamed-up