*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906415-Just-remember-when-a-dream-appears
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#906415 added March 11, 2017 at 5:10pm
Restrictions: None
Just remember when a dream appears...
Date: 03.10.17 -- Day 30 (Day 10 of the 30-Day Blogging Challenge - March Edition)
Music: "You Belong to Me" / Patsy Cline

Prompt: Fun Fact Friday! - On this day in 1876, Alexander Graham Bell made the first successful call with the telephone. How much of a factor has the telephone (in all its forms) had in the difference between society now and 140 years ago?

[I apologize for the lateness of this post. I had a work emergency that spilled into overtime, and by the time I got home, it was well past the post due date. Hopefully this will not happen again!]

I believe that the telephone has had a major impact on society, and has led to the sharp rise of innovation throughout the world. When you think about the jump in communications alone, the telephone becomes a major force for change. Long distance conversations could then happen in real time. The sharing of information was/is nearly instantaneous. And with the advent of the telephone, the landscape of how we create and operate commerce shifted dramatically as industries were both lost and found by its usage. After the telephone, we now have the internet, computers, mobile phones, and other tech that keeps up connected. Information is now more accessible than ever, and with this accessibility, we have been able to affect great change.

There are downsides to the telephone as well. The fast innovation we often overlook the consequences of our progress. One thing that definitely comes to mind is waste management. The parts from these technologies are not easily broken down and disposed of. The materials we need to make these techs work are in limited supply, often taken without permission, and can vastly harm human life to mine it and dispose of it when we're done. The consequences are not always apparent, but can come at a great cost.

Ultimately, the telephone was a huge factor in speeding along technological creation 140 years ago, and has shaped society to what it is today.


© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906415-Just-remember-when-a-dream-appears