*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906776-Make-a-spark-break-the-dark
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#906776 added March 13, 2017 at 11:34pm
Restrictions: None
Make a spark, break the dark.
Date: 03.13.17 -- Day 33 (Day 13 of the 30-Day Blogging Challenge - March Edition)
Music: "Lose It" / Oh Wonder

Prompt: Motivational Monday! - Actor William H. Macy, born on this day in 1950, once said, "Everyone hooks up with George Clooney. He's a genuinely cool guy. He's using his powers for good." How are you using your powers for good?

This is a wonderful, difficult prompt, and something I struggle with every day. My daily goal is to do some good, especially in such a chaotic world. Sometimes my body or my brain don't seem to cooperate with me, and it takes everything I have to sit upright and breathe. Sometimes it's not letting the pain, mentally and physically, cloud my attitude towards others. However, it is crucial, for me, to do good in both big and little ways.

For the past three years I've been a volunteer tutor, specifically for students with difficult schedules and are first-generation college students as I been blessed with easy access to education. This has been a gift my grandparents and parents have worked hard for, to give me, my siblings, and my cousins are better life and education than they received. By being a personal tutor to these students, donating time and the knowledge I've acquired, I hope I'm paying forward the opportunity that was given to me. This experience has been wonderful as I've been able to get to know my tutees (I prefer students because tutees just doesn't have the right ring to it) and building solid friendships with each one of them.

Many people in my community are going through tough spots, so whenever I can, I like to help them through those difficult times. I believe we all go through rough patches at one point or another, and I was raised to give whenever I had a bit of something, even if all I possess is a dollar and the shirt on my back. The hope is that I can pass on my good fortune to others, and if they find one day they can as well, it truly is the gift that continues to give.

It is my firm belief that we are stronger as a people if we work together and look after one another, especially our most vulnerable. If I have extra, whether it's time or monetarily or knowledge, it is my hope that I can use my powers and privilege for good. It is a struggle at times, but it is struggle worth fighting for.



© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906776-Make-a-spark-break-the-dark