*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906623-Its-not-what-you-look-like-when-you-doing-what-you-doing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2107938
A new year, a new blog, same mess of a writer.
#906623 added March 13, 2017 at 10:45pm
Restrictions: None
It's not what you look like, when you doing what you doing.
Date: 03.12.13 -- Day 32 (Day 12 of the 30-Day Blogging Challenge - March Edition)
Music: "Express Yourself" / Labrinth

Prompt: Sunday News! - In a television appearance he'll never forget, a professor speaking on a BBC News program Friday morning was hilariously interrupted when his two children walked into the room.   -*Laugh*- if you were being interviewed on television for something of importance, how would you handle a situation where your thunder is about to get stolen by someone/something that has no relevance to the subject?

I'd like to think I would be able to hold my composure with as much grace as the interviewee in the article was able to, but I can be honest and say it would be a good day if I didn't bust out laughing. I mean, little one was having a grand ole time boogeying to her own beat. She had a mission to dance and dad talking to his computer was not going to stop her. And then the mini in the walker strolled in like the place was theirs. One can only imagine what an average day in that house is like without cameras. So, really, I would be lost with no hope of survival, and can only hope that the interview was not live but taped.

Holding composure, for me, only happens when I have time to plan. Speaking in public used to make me literally sick to my stomach or had me closing my eye through the whole ordeal. True story: I had earned a spot in my elementary school's talent show during the third grade, was absolutely terrified, and solved the problem of not hurling on the audience by keeping my eyes closed the entire time I sang. I still cannot listen to "Wild Angels" by Martina McBride without cringing in remembered horror. It's taken me years to be able to give a presentation or speak in front of people about something important without looking like I'm dying, and there is a 50/50 chance that it will not go well anyway. The idea of giving a television interview makes me want to run away screaming just a little.

If I had to do a television interview, I would either need a minimum of two weeks worth of prep or be told I was going on air fifteen minutes before the actual thing so as not to have time to freak out or let my fight-or-flight response kick in. If someone wanted to steal my thunder, there is a very good chance I might just hand them said weather with a pretty bow on top. I might even buy them dinner after for doing me a solid by interrupting with a non-sequitur. Better to give away glory than to terrify a television audience with a scene from "The Exorcist".



© Copyright 2017 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906623-Its-not-what-you-look-like-when-you-doing-what-you-doing