*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
10
11
12
13
14
17
18
19
20
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907892-Christmas-Presence
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#907892 added March 29, 2017 at 8:27pm
Restrictions: None
Christmas 'Presence'
PROMPT: War Chest Wednesday! Some people start making or buying Christmas presents in January and by October they're all wrapped and ready to go. Others hit the shops on Christmas Eve, frantically buying presents for everyone. Which are you? Tell us about the best Christmas present you ever gave anyone.
          Hmm... I am neither uber organized, nor a Christmas present procrastinator. I am most definitely not my mother's daughter. That woman loved all things Christmas, and she would begin the year-long campaign on Boxing Day, or shortly thereafter. Sometimes, her hoarding accumulations were temporarily misplaced, and for some unknown reason not hiding in the big box with the other gifts. Mom always had an operational list to consult, and she stalked sales for months.
          I don't think I ever prepared a year, or months in advance. There was a time when my kids and I competed in local Fall Fairs with our art, crafts, baking, and photos. Typically, these took place in September and October. It became an impetus to create gifts for special occasions. Every fair, I would tease Mother that both her birthday and Christmas gift were on display and hoping to win red ribbons. I had to do something with this stuff. Mom was our biggest, most appreciative supporter.
          After years of wrapping gifts Christmas Eve, and always pondering what to make, or purchase for everyone, my hubby proposed a radical idea. Why not offer an all-expenses paid trip to our family? Why not set out on a family vacation? Yes, this involved some planning, and a few members needed to obtain passports, so we began anticipating Christmas in the autumn of 2015. It morphed into a road trip from Ontario, Canada to Disneyworld and Universal Studios, Florida. It had been too long since we'd all travelled together, and we ended up giving each other the gift of presence. We spent ten days enjoying each other's company; my hubby and I, our three adult offspring, and two granddaughters.
          Nothing had to be disguised in paper. Nothing had to be returned. Nothing was the wrong size, or colour. We had a different Christmas celebration with no snow, and no bundling in heavy clothing. We exchanged the gift of time; time to relax, time to play and explore, time to chat, time to laugh, time to be a family. There may never be another chance to be together in one location at the same time ever again. Careers, schooling, and commitments demand their own attention. I believe that December of 2015 was one of the best Christmases I ever experienced. If it is never surpassed, that is more than okay.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907892-Christmas-Presence