*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910123-Girl-Power
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#910123 added April 29, 2017 at 11:06pm
Restrictions: None
Girl Power
Ever since I was a little kid, I have been into the notion of girl power. I can't seem to help myself. I think it's because I was a huge Spice Girls fan as a child. Being a little girl in the nineties definitely gave me more exposure to the concept of girl power. Maybe it's that my mother is a feminist too. Honestly, it could just be that as a girl I felt a lack of a certain sense of power, and girl power gave me that feeling of power that I hadn't had before.

Regardless, girl power is my thing. As a kid, that meant that I liked a lot of girl groups (anything from the Spice Girls to Destiny's Child), and a lot of books, TV, and movies that featured brave or strong or smart girls. Hermione was one of my favourite characters in anything I ever read or watched, particularly given that I was a child who loved school. Anne of Green Gables was one of my early Canadian loves. The Paperbag Princess was probably one of the first girl power books I ever read--the princess tosses on a paperbag outfit, slays the dragon by outsmarting it, saves the prince, and then dumps him because he's a jerk. I was a bit of a tomboy, so you couldn't rope me in with anything inherently "girly" but if it was girl power, I was sold.

As an adult, I'm still into girl power. This isn't something I truly realised until recently. I'm still sold on girl groups that are pro girl power (I can't get enough of Little Mix). Whether it is meant for adults or children, I will check out any TV or movie that centres girls or women. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is one of the best children's shows to come out in recent years, and almost all of the main characters are unique and strong girls; Jessica Jones getting her own TV show and Wonder Woman getting revived rank among the best cinematic superhero news I could get; things like Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen, etc, being out there is some of the top comic news in recent years.

Girl power thrills me. I still feel as if I am being inspired and influenced by other strong women. I know that it seems corny, and it seems especially corny now that I'm an adult, but I'm not sure I care.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Five.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910123-Girl-Power