*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910404-Sure-if-they-wish-to-do-so
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#910404 added May 3, 2017 at 9:15pm
Restrictions: None
Sure, if they wish to do so
PROMPT: War Chest Wednesday! Should public figures (such as singers, actors, athletes, etc.) express their political voice?
          Hmm, the word should implies a duty, a responsibility. Does fame and recognition demand public opinions? Do celebrities owe us? Do we expect them to lead the way, or educate us?
         Celebrities are created by their fans. Fans support this hero-worship. Unrealistically, heroes are held to a higher standard, an accountability. Somebody worthy of awe must be somehow superior to the rest of us.
         What a load of hooey! I do not buy into the mysticism of celebrity. Yes, I will admit that entertainers and athletes have gifts/skills, or whatever, but at the end of the day they are all still people. They are not super heroes. They function as the rest of us do. They are not perfect by any means. They learn by trial and error. They have triumphs and failures. They have opinions that are theirs, and not necessarily better ones. Celebrities are no better equipped to make decisions than the general public.
         Acting, singing, or competing in sports are careers. They are specific jobs. Unfortunately, these occupations seem to attract more attention than others. Not every celebrity chooses to embrace the spotlight, and why should they? They are working to earn a living as do all workers. No one is expected to voice their political opinions. Everyone, no matter their vocation, has a choice to discuss and endorse all things political. Public figures are free to keep their own counsel, or jump on a bandwagon. They are only human, too.
         Personally, I have never been swayed by the campaigning/protesting/seal of approval associated with celebrities. If they wish to support causes, or raise awareness, more power to them.
         Before I attempted to address today's blog prompt, I typed "celebrity politics" into my search engine. As expected, I was offered a plethora of possibilities. Apparently, this topic strikes a sensitive nerve. Many argue that celebrities have influence, and people disagree what should be done with this. Some insist that public figures should, ( there's that word again), use their powers for good. They are obligated to raise awareness of issues. There is no doubt that educated celebrities make passionate advocates. Anyway, I discovered a site that deems to rate the religious and political views of the stars. The internet is a wondrous, weird galaxy.... If interested, peruse www.hollowverse.com .

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910404-Sure-if-they-wish-to-do-so