*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910604-Free-Comic-Book-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#910604 added May 6, 2017 at 10:54pm
Restrictions: None
Free Comic Book Day
In North America, on the first Saturday of every May (every May since 2002 anyway), comic shops distribute fee comic books to anyone who wishes to have ones. Most of the major publishers participate in free comic book day offering up a number of fun freebies, and some smaller publishers offer up some too. Some stores also use it as a chance to get rid of excess copies of back issues.

For those not noticing the date, today is Free Comic Book Day! My city has a thriving nerd community, so we actually block off a significant portion of the downtown area just so we can celebrate within the community. We have many stores that enjoy participating (including by putting regular items on sale), the local library helps host events and activities throughout the day, and the street festival vibe is very pleasant.

Today was a bit on the cool and rainy side for May, but it wasn't anything too bad. There was a great selection laid out. I had other stuff to do in the morning, so I unfortunately missed out on a few items that were gone when I arrived, along with the cosplay contest usually run by the library. I still managed to have a lot of fun, and I was able to walk away with a lot of exciting grabs.

I was able to pick up an issue of Cerberus and glamourpuss, a small Drawn and Quarterly collection, a local anthology by local publisher Runciman Press, an issue of Bob's Burgers, a little one called Peach and the Isle of Monsters, and an issue of Fresh of the Boat. I also bought the trade paperback volume of Monstress, which I have been dying to read for a little while and got on sale.

And for anyone who read yesterday's blog post about my "Postcard Collection, I actually was given a DC postcard today for free as well!

I have been waiting for today since the first Saturday of last May, and although I didn't get as much time as I would have liked, I still loved the time I did get. Now I can go back to waiting for the first Saturday of May to come.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Thirteen.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910604-Free-Comic-Book-Day