*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911641-Romance-Tropes-I-Adore
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#911641 added May 23, 2017 at 8:58pm
Restrictions: None
Romance Tropes I Adore
I recently wrote about "Romance Tropes I Can't Stand, and I thought I would take a moment to share some of the tropes that I really enjoy. Sometimes it is nice to have a simple concept that is really well done as a comforting sort of fall back. As long as these tropes are done right, they pretty much guarantee that I will enjoy the book. It's also worth noting that many of these tropes can be done together to really excellent effect.

As an additional note, these particular tropes tend to most often apply to historical romance, which is what I enjoy the most. That said, they can all be done really well in contemporary or paranormal settings as well.

Marriage of Convenience
It doesn't actually matter what the convenience is. Maybe it's a business deal, an arranged marriage, or a couple caught in a scandalous kiss. Perhaps it's even to avoid marrying someone else or for simple legal benefit. I think it's really incredible to see two people in a situation they wouldn't necessarily choose come to the realisation that fate has brought them together for the best.

The Smart Heroine
I really, really love smart heroines. Maybe she's a scientist, a mathematician, a teacher, or a librarian. Maybe she's really good at wordplay, or really good at sussing out the complexities of the story's conflict. I generally tend to be drawn to nerd characters the most, as I find them the most identifiable. I also think intelligence makes for some of the most interesting strength in a character.

The Reformed Rake
This one is pretty corny, and I am fully aware of that. I think it's one of those natural attractions to the idea of a bad boy not really being a bad boy. He used to be a rake, but now he's ready to settle down. Maybe he's a little dangerous, but in the most protective of ways. Again, I am fully aware of how corny this one is.

The Fairy Tale Twist
Having grown up on fairy tales, there's something really charming about re-experiencing those childhood fairy tales in what amounts to my adult fairy tales. Seeing the classic Cinderella story or Reed Riding Hood twisted into something new and creative, with a loving new happily ever after is one of those little things that makes me feel warm inside.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Twenty-Six. Three days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Elizabeth (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elizabeth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911641-Romance-Tropes-I-Adore