*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912151-Yesterday-Was-Corn-Day
by Harry
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1490694
HarryG's blog.
#912151 added June 1, 2017 at 4:02am
Restrictions: None
Yesterday Was Corn Day!
Yesterday was corn day! My wife Linda and I drove down early in the morning from Shreveport to Ed Lester Farms outside Coushatta, LA.  We bought 100 ears (2 bushels) of corn, a bushel of pinto beans, some new potatoes, and some fresh blueberries. We spent the rest of the day shucking, blanching, cutting the kernels off the cob, bagging, and freezing the corn. We got 20 bags of corn cut off the cob plus a half dozen bags of corn on the cob. By us, I mean Linda did all that work except I helped with the shucking. Plus she made vegetable soup and then baked two dozen blueberry muffins using the fresh blueberries. I did shell the pinto beans, which Linda then blanched and bagged. Hard day ... but we have started the process of restocking our freezers with fresh produce. Good eating later!

Anyone else putting fresh produce up in the freezer to have for later eating enjoyment?

I wrote a poem about us putting up corn back in 2004:
 Summer Gold  (ASR)
A free verse poem about stocking the freezer with summer's golden harvest.
#861665 by Harry
  We were younger then and put up more bushels of corn than we can do today.

© Copyright 2017 Harry (UN: harryg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Harry has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912151-Yesterday-Was-Corn-Day