*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912909-Seeds-of-disention
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#912909 added June 10, 2017 at 3:21pm
Restrictions: None
Seeds of disention.
A private comment posted elsewhere (names withheld). Needs editing but no time at moment, later:

First: my snarkiness; second; my seriousness. Only my opinions, of course. *Heart*

A bit snarky:

Move to Ornes in Norway. There's a small church there (Urnes) from 1200 (the year) that is a historical treasure. I'm sure their problems are 'smaller' although... they have been doing it their way for 800 years when Norway was Catholic.

Since they only fit about 40 for a special service (like a wedding) there would be no need for any 'system'. Can't remember whether they have a small organ... a cappella?

Anyhoo... the main church is in Solvorn across the fjord and a delightful place to visit (even has a bus) but again... small town.

A bit serious:

I would surmise that the basic problem is people and how they allow their personality clashes to overcome the common good. This is not a Lutheran problem per se... quite common; but if allowed to fester it can lead to internal divisions that will tear the congregation apart. Whether J and A have a case... a congregation isn't held together by one family.

If the church building cannot accommodate an up-to-date speaker system they may want to consider doing without. Unless people where you live go 'shopping' for a church based on its musical program (as in Sunday entertainment, common in wealthy suburbs) they, as a congregation, need to determine priorities and why they exist at all. Is the 'building' of utmost value? Are the parishioners? What are the shared values?

The Lutheran Church was split into synods in the USA. The ALC and LCA were Scandinavian based and more 'progressive'. The Missouri was 'German' and traditional. I've said more than once that Missouri spoke only to Wisconsin and they in turn spoke only to God. The internal debate over values led to the Missouri / AELC split with the LCA, ALC and AELC later joining to become the ELCA. The Missouri synod worked on but then refused to even accept a joint hymnal. The Wisconsin synod? I believe they still only speak to God and not the others. If Lutherans cannot find shared values to think of themselves as Lutherans instead of identifying with the synod, how can one expect Lutherans to accept other Christians? Don't bother to ask about accepting non-Christians or their beliefs...

So... internal disputes can get nasty. I would hope the congregation knows what they are all about (including accepting assholes and folks they disagree with). If so, one would hope that those of you in conflict could work it out. If not... same old story... a very old story... that has divided Christianity (and other faiths) for centuries.

Peace and love, K.

© Copyright 2017 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912909-Seeds-of-disention