*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913878-When-The-Activists-Leave-You-Behind
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#913878 added June 22, 2017 at 5:14pm
Restrictions: None
When The Activists Leave You Behind
I have a lot of really strong beliefs. I am a feminist, and I'm not ashamed to apply the label to myself. I think intersectionality is the key to making feminism work. Gender, race, class, ability, sexuality, and so on, are all things that intersect to give people different experiences in privilege or lack thereof. Many feminists in our current society have embraced the concept of intersectional feminism, which I believe makes feminism a far more welcoming environment, and far more effective in its goals of eliminating all varieties of sexism in society. That said, I still feel left behind.

I have chronic health issues. These issues can make it incredibly difficult to allow me to feel welcome in activist spaces. Events with seating often have chairs that aggravate my pain, with no alternative seating provided except for wheelchair access. There are also a number of outdoor speeches and gatherings that don't really provide any seating at all, meaning I have to sit in the grass--which also means I often have to choose a spot far away so I don't get stepped on.

Many activists like to espouse that if you aren't at marches and protests, you aren't really an activist. I am not always physically capable of joining protests or marches, as much as I like to when I can. Walking too far can simply be too difficult for my body to handle. There are some days where walking at all can feel like a burden, and attending anything is out of the question. Speeches leading up to a march can be long, and you're generally expected to stand for them, which is an added burden when I am expected to walk afterwards.

There have been feminist introductory books that I have read by well respected feminists, feminists I personally respect, that fail to mention the way ability can intersect at all. I recall another book I read that referred to disabled people as being "crippled." When even the academics fail to mention you in terms of intersectionality, it can be really easy to feel left behind.

As a feminist with serious health concerns, I try to make my activism work as best I can. I attend marches and protests when I am physically up to it. I have attended community meetings, speeches, film screenings, etc, when I have known what the space will be like due to a familiarity with the location. I read all of the activist material I can manage. I share information on facebook and twitter to keep my friends and acquaintances in the know. I sign petitions for causes that matter to me. I donate to causes that matter to me when I have the little bit of money to spare. I volunteer with the library to help promote literacy and keep free services running with wide availability, because I know that I can pace myself and work in volunteer positions that won't harm me further.

I think it's important to remember minorities of all types, including the disabled and chronically ill, so that we can move forward as a better society. I think it's important to share this kind of information to remind other activists that not everyone is at the same level of ability, but there are different ways we can help. I think it's important to remind people like me, people who are disabled and/or sick, that our activism counts too, and it's okay to stick with the work we're capable of.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Fifty-Two. Six days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Elizabeth (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elizabeth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913878-When-The-Activists-Leave-You-Behind