*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915050-Powerful-Electricity
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#915050 added July 9, 2017 at 8:23pm
Restrictions: None
Powerful Electricity
PROMPT: The Sunday News! This week, tesla announced they're building the world's biggest lithium ion battery in Australia. This is to enhance the security of their electric grid, and can provide a more efficient and cost effective way of maintaining service . Should more countries be doing things like this to lessen their dependence on fossil fuels and create less of a negative environmental impact?
          First of all, bravo Australia! Kudos to you for being innovative, and environmentally aware. I do hope this idea succeeds.
          Yes, it would be fantastic if more countries followed suit, and endorsed the concept of safe and cheap electricity. The benefits should be self-evident.
         Here, in Canada, our hydro is produced by water power, wind mills, and solar panels. All are costly to maintain. Their infrastructure is expensive, too. Nuclear power has so far proven to be a huge expenditure with operating problems of its own. The demand for readily available power never ceases.
         Where will the funds for a similar lithium ion battery be found? How does a government justify further expenses? The windmills are a relatively new idea here, and they are controversial. Some see them as harmful, and many are suspicious of their long term effects. They have yet to justify their costs. It's estimated that they have a limited life span that will be reached before they pay for themselves. They are erected mainly in farm fields. They have expropriated valuable land.
         Hydro conservation is actively taught. Rates vary according to time usage with rates exponentially higher for electricity consumption during prime time.
         Canada is far greater than Australia with extreme terrain and weather unique to it. The lithium ion batteries would have to be extremely enormous, and plentiful to service this vast country. Imagine the necessary infrastructure.... The initial cost must be weighed against any possible benefits. What concerns, possible problems exist for this new technology? It is untested.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915050-Powerful-Electricity